Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  SpaceInsomniac : (26 July 2016 - 03:15 PM) Yeah, I've heard bad things about the Xbox One version of Neverwinter, but the PS4 version runs pretty nicely.  The only place the framerate in still rough is the main city, but there's no combat there, so it's no big deal.
@  Goldenheart : (26 July 2016 - 06:06 PM) Brandino, that's the same Genesis "mini" that I mentioned. Kotaku said they just repackaged it to capitalize on the 25th anniv. of Sonic. They also say it's a pretty lame emulator with lag, sluggish controls, & half are lame rip-off fake games. :( http://kotaku.com/no...esis-1784350008
@  d2_s : (27 July 2016 - 09:03 AM) @Space cheers for that i'll give it a try next time i'm on.
@  TonyDP : (27 July 2016 - 04:55 PM) The Sega Genesis collection for the 360 and PS3 had some nice emulations of classic Sega games. It even had the Original Phantasy Star as a hidden game. I still have it and it more than fills my very modest retro-gaming needs.
@  Goldenheart : (29 July 2016 - 09:38 AM) I passed a big box truck today. (Like a big Uhaul but with a semi cab/engine on the front.) It was jet black with the Destiny logo on it and the words "Next Year" on it and all kinds of panels. Looked like the kind that open up all over to reveal big monitors for a publicity tour. I couldn't get a pic of it though. Traffic was too hairy at that moment & my phone wasn't handy.
@  d2_s : (02 August 2016 - 07:21 AM) Destiny 2 promotion?
@  Goldenheart : (03 August 2016 - 06:50 AM) I rather expected someone to have heard something about something. Since they want Destiny to be a 10yr thing, I'd assume it's a BIG DLC event coming. Wouldn't Destiny 2 just split the user base?
@  Goldenheart : (03 August 2016 - 06:52 AM) Not Destiny related, but how do I post a pic from my hard drive? I want to contribute to the Stupid Video thread but can't figure out how to post this amusing pic I took.
@  d2_s : (05 August 2016 - 12:05 AM) If you took the pic you'll need to upload it to a hosting site and link to it there. As for Destiny 2, it's out next year I think. Maybe its a promotion for the Rise of Iron dlc coming September?
@  Brandino : (12 August 2016 - 12:03 AM) Anyone pre ordering Gears of War 4?
@  TonyDP : (12 August 2016 - 04:15 PM) I never cared much for the Gear franchise; I was mainly into single player games and they had low longevity in that regard. I'm waiting to see more of the game before I commit.
@  TonyDP : (12 August 2016 - 04:16 PM) Been playing No Man's Sky on the PS4. Not everyone's cup of tea but the mostly relaxed, laid back pace of the game really agrees with me. Always wanted a game where I could explore the universe and this one fills that niche for now.
@  Goldenheart : (13 August 2016 - 01:00 AM) I'm still working on my 360 backlog. Just discovered how awesome Saints Row IV is! I haven't been online in a long time, are any patches worth installing? I hate it when they add glowy points to draw me in just to find out it's a marker to let me know DLC would be here IF I had bought it. It's awesome as it is though. :D
@  Goldenheart : (13 August 2016 - 01:22 AM) I see MS is has a Dead Rising Triple pack for pre-order for XB1. 1,2, & 2 Off the Record. I was excited to see them getting some attention... then I saw the graphics are unchanged. Just the 3 360 games for $60!!! Totally lame MS! Why bother to bundle at that price? They aren't backwards compatible either.
@  d2_s : (16 August 2016 - 10:29 PM) @B I'm burnt out on Gears. I know it's supposed to be one of the most technically accomplished games on the bone, but I don't know too much else about it and am not too interested. I may oick it up cheap at a later date.
@  d2_s : (16 August 2016 - 10:33 PM) @Tony Agree with you about NoMan's Sky. The sense of scale and seemless way one is able to traverse through a vast universe is like nothing else on PS4. That accomplishment trumps all the game's shortfalls for me and it will be interesting to see how the developers expand the gameplay side of things.
@  TonyDP : (24 August 2016 - 08:19 PM) Yeah D2, I'm a bit taken aback by all the anger directed at the game. Now I didn't follow it too closely during development, only watching the occasional movie and reading the occasional preview. Maybe they did promise a lot of stuff that didn't make it in but the final product also does have a lot to see and do. I have 30 hours into it so even if I don't ever pick it up again I still feel I got my money's worth. Also curious to see what improvements we get once they iron out the major bugs.
@  TonyDP : (24 August 2016 - 08:21 PM) Anybody try Deus Ex: Mankind Divided? I really enjoyed the last Deus Ex game so I'll be picking this one up at some point. Probably going to get the PS4 version as it is supposed to look and perform slightly better. I read the PC version supports steroscopic 3D; wish I had a rig that could run it but I've been away from PC gaming so long I'd have no idea where to begin to put together a PC that could run it in 3D with respectable performance.
@  d2_s : (25 August 2016 - 02:41 AM) I picked it up on PS4, but I'm still waiting on it. Reviews seem mostly postive, but there's been a bit of controversy over the game's micro transaction system. Not sure it really affects gameplay too much if at all though.
@  ermac666 : (26 August 2016 - 09:25 PM) I picked up The king of fighters xiv on the ps4. It's an exclusive, and it plays great like most kof games, and has like 50 characters. Love the game!

- - - - -

How to enable progressive scan on the Gamecube

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HDTVadmin

HDTVadmin

The one and only...

• Administrator
  • 3,368 posts
  • Interests:HDTV Gaming !! Movies, Computers, Fishing.

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:34 AM

First you must have a Gamecube hooked up with component cables to an HDTV.  The Gamecube component cables can be purchased directly from nintendo.com.

Check the list to make sure you are using a game that supports 480p.

While booting up a game, hold down "B".  You will get a prompt asking if you would like to enable progressive scan.  This should only have to be done once.

Newer model Gamecubes lack the port to use component cables.

"The Digital A/V Output port was removed from systems produced after May, 2004 (these systems will have a model number of DOL-101). If you have a Nintendo GameCube without this port, and you wish to play your games in progressive scan, please call our Consumer Service department at 1-800-255-3700, to discuss available options."

#2 Admiral

Admiral

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

Ok, I've tried this with my new nintendo brand component cables, and can't get it to work. :-(

We still have to use the other cables as well right? I mean, it's the only way to get sound!

I have everything hooked up correctly, but I can't see a picture at all!!! What's up?

#3 Gigas

Gigas

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

Yes, you have to have both sets plugged in to get sound.

Are you sure you've got your gamecube plugged into the correct inputs on your TV? And is it a progressive scan game? Assuming you are in the right inputs, if your screen is all distorted, turn the machine off, then back on. Right away press the B button. In a couple seconds the picture should be back to normal, and it'll ask you if you want to enable progressive scan.

#4 Admiral

Admiral

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:08 PM

AHA!!! Got it to work. Weird, All I had to do was change the input selected on the TV, and then go back to the GC input, and it was fine. Looks great!

thanks for the help yall

#5 Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:50 AM

Newer model Gamecubes lack the port to use component cables.

"The Digital A/V Output port was removed from systems produced after May, 2004 (these systems will have a model number of DOL-101). If you have a Nintendo GameCube without this port, and you wish to play your games in progressive scan, please call our Consumer Service department at 1-800-255-3700, to discuss available options."

If you call this number they offer you a refurbished GC. There is no way to get a new unit that has the port.

#6 PsyEd

PsyEd

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:09 AM

Also something different - if you hold down Z and then boot your GC then you'll hear different music.

And PAL GC can have progressive scan turned on for NTSC games via Freeloader.

#7 Vegeta

Vegeta

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

I managed to snap up a brand new platinum GC with the digital av out port (dol-001) from eBay :)

Cost £50 and came with a sealed Mario Kart Double Dash :lol:

#8 Jmog

Jmog

Whipmaster Extraordinaire

• 1,488 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:43 AM

I got the same package myself from a local shop for 47£. They also had a bundle with silver GC + Wind Waker + Zelda collector's edition (Ocarina, Majora and Zelda 1+2) for the same price. Of course those were sold out in no time.

#9 Patvs

Patvs

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:12 AM

Can anyone confirm the following two statements:

-If your PAL Cube has the digital A/V output and you use a component cable you'll get [great looking] 480i.

-However no PAL games support progressive scan, so if you want 480p you need to import the NTSC version and play them with freeloader.

#10 Jmog

Jmog

Whipmaster Extraordinaire

• 1,488 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:17 PM

Patvs said:

-If your PAL Cube has the digital A/V output and you use a component cable you'll get [great looking] 480i.

You'll get 480i in NTSC games running via Freeloader and 576i in PAL games, yes. It won't be "great looking" - not compared to progressive anyway. Compared to composite it will look very good and slightly better than s-video. It will be pretty much identical to RGB-scart.

-However no PAL games support progressive scan, so if you want 480p you need to import the NTSC version and play them with freeloader.

No PAL games support progressive on a PAL cube. Some of them do when you run them on a NTSC cube using freeloader. How many, I don't know.
NTSC games + freeloader will give you 480p on your PAL cube if the games support it.

#11 Trippe2k

Trippe2k

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:15 AM

Just curious i have the component cables and every time i start up my gamecube ( WITHOUT holding down the B button) it asks me if i want to go into progressive scan. I have yet to hold down the button once and yet all the games still promt me with the option. By no means am i complaining or worried, i am just curious is this common? or am i lucky?

#12 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,445 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:08 AM

It usually does it if you have done it at least once ... after that it will auto prompt almost every time.

#13 alkumuc

alkumuc

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

:mad:  Newbie question  :cool:

So I read all night long how to get my consoles ready to display the best picture quality on my NEC VT540  ( http://selfemploymen...MANUAL32259.pdf )

As far as I know most Pal GC Games dont support Digital out signal! But if i use the qoob mod chip than i can force to right?
Can i force other resolution 480p too?

My projector cant display 480p anyway but probably a vga digital output would be
1) progressive anyway doesnt matter which resolution
2) be much more sharper and brighter than video chinch right?

so can i use a vga cable to use vga resolution or does the gc just support 480p at compisite?

Correct me if i am wrong that my profector cant display 480p and please tell me if there is a way to get a much better picture quality than with the poor yellow chinch video ^^
thx 4 help
alku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!