Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  d2_s : (12 September 2014 - 08:43 PM) @Hump I would personally add Clarkson to the list of negatives. Guy is a tosser :P
@  TonyDP : (13 September 2014 - 10:22 AM) Never liked Clarkson; he really comes across as being condescending and way too into himself. Forza 4 did have everything including the kitchen sink; I still play it as well. But Forza 5 is a lot of fun. Forza Vista for every car is cool and I'm pretty sure St. Petersburg was never in Forza before (or not for a long time anyway).
@  KaliniuS : (14 September 2014 - 03:32 PM) Well, Forza 5 was only free for the wee end. Now if you want to continue playing, you have to pay up and buy the game. I wasn't aware of that until the final day. I wasn't impressed enough with it to pay full price for it.
@  KaliniuS : (14 September 2014 - 03:32 PM) weekend*
@  ermac666 : (15 September 2014 - 05:59 AM) http://www.eurogamer...ith-bayonetta-2
@  ermac666 : (15 September 2014 - 05:59 AM) Bayonetta 2 has performance issues on the wii u. Ouch..
@  TonyDP : (15 September 2014 - 04:15 PM) Disappointing to read but not really surprising. The Wii U is one of the few consoles I passed over without so much as a backward glance. Usually a new piece of gaming hardware has me foaming at the mouth but I could not muster any interest in that console.
@  d2_s : (15 September 2014 - 08:30 PM) @ermac. not such a big deal. The 360 had big frame drops and it was fine. The Wii U version looks fantastic and though frame drops suck I don't think its a deal breaker. I mean look at Ryse on X1 it can barely stay above 25 frames at 900p most of the time and I barely see that mentioned anywhere.
@  d2_s : (15 September 2014 - 08:33 PM) I like the Wii U-it has some great games-but Nintendo did royally screw up. They tried to plesse eveyone, but instead made a system that could really satisfy anyone other than the hardcore Nintendo faithful.
@  d2_s : (16 September 2014 - 09:57 PM) Guess who received an email from Sony today about the Bloodborne Alpha? Really hope I get in its my most anticipated game on any platform.
@  Brandino : (29 September 2014 - 04:32 PM) I just a video of Ocarina of Time being redone in 2d by some fans... looked awesome
@  SpaceInsomniac : (01 October 2014 - 02:40 AM) You should post that video in a thread.  Sounds cool.
@  colonel_j2020 : (01 October 2014 - 06:29 AM) Here is an article with the video I assume Brandino was talking about.    http://www.pcgamer.c...carina-of-time/
@  Goldenheart : (05 October 2014 - 12:20 AM) Just read an article on Kim Komando's site saying October is actually the best time of the year to get a deal on tech stuff. fyi. http://www.komando.c...tech-bargains/2
@  Goldenheart : (13 October 2014 - 05:25 PM) This is really getting annoying. I'm trying to find a replacement fan for my wife's Sony laptop, but all the fans w/matching numbers are a mirror image of what I need! Kudos to Sony for making their laptop easy to take apart though. Much better than HP laptops.
@  Goldenheart : (13 October 2014 - 05:26 PM) And I know the photo's not flipped cuz the letters look fine.
@  Goldenheart : (14 October 2014 - 07:54 AM) I take that back. Now, I'm  thinking the fans are fine, they're just pictured w/o the metal cover which is what made them look like I was looking at the bottom instead of their top.
@  AKA Superman : (14 October 2014 - 12:19 PM) So, The Evil Within has been getting some good reviews...anyone pick it up? I'll likely get it when the price drops, but having it compared to RE4 has really got my attention.
@  d2_s : (19 October 2014 - 01:30 AM) @Supes I picked up the Evil Within. It is alot like RE4. It has some technical issues on all formats (including PC), but they don't bother me. I recommended chacking it out on Twitch, there are plenty of streams going and you can get a feel for the game and if the issues such as the camera view, borders and frame drops bother you.
@  d2_s : (19 October 2014 - 01:30 AM) Ignoring all of that, the game is excellent.

- - - - -

How to enable progressive scan on the Gamecube

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HDTVadmin

HDTVadmin

The one and only...

• Administrator
  • 3,367 posts
  • Interests:HDTV Gaming !! Movies, Computers, Fishing.

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:34 AM

First you must have a Gamecube hooked up with component cables to an HDTV.  The Gamecube component cables can be purchased directly from nintendo.com.

Check the list to make sure you are using a game that supports 480p.

While booting up a game, hold down "B".  You will get a prompt asking if you would like to enable progressive scan.  This should only have to be done once.

Newer model Gamecubes lack the port to use component cables.

"The Digital A/V Output port was removed from systems produced after May, 2004 (these systems will have a model number of DOL-101). If you have a Nintendo GameCube without this port, and you wish to play your games in progressive scan, please call our Consumer Service department at 1-800-255-3700, to discuss available options."

#2 Admiral

Admiral

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

Ok, I've tried this with my new nintendo brand component cables, and can't get it to work. :-(

We still have to use the other cables as well right? I mean, it's the only way to get sound!

I have everything hooked up correctly, but I can't see a picture at all!!! What's up?

#3 Gigas

Gigas

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

Yes, you have to have both sets plugged in to get sound.

Are you sure you've got your gamecube plugged into the correct inputs on your TV? And is it a progressive scan game? Assuming you are in the right inputs, if your screen is all distorted, turn the machine off, then back on. Right away press the B button. In a couple seconds the picture should be back to normal, and it'll ask you if you want to enable progressive scan.

#4 Admiral

Admiral

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:08 PM

AHA!!! Got it to work. Weird, All I had to do was change the input selected on the TV, and then go back to the GC input, and it was fine. Looks great!

thanks for the help yall

#5 Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:50 AM

Newer model Gamecubes lack the port to use component cables.

"The Digital A/V Output port was removed from systems produced after May, 2004 (these systems will have a model number of DOL-101). If you have a Nintendo GameCube without this port, and you wish to play your games in progressive scan, please call our Consumer Service department at 1-800-255-3700, to discuss available options."

If you call this number they offer you a refurbished GC. There is no way to get a new unit that has the port.

#6 PsyEd

PsyEd

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:09 AM

Also something different - if you hold down Z and then boot your GC then you'll hear different music.

And PAL GC can have progressive scan turned on for NTSC games via Freeloader.

#7 Vegeta

Vegeta

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

I managed to snap up a brand new platinum GC with the digital av out port (dol-001) from eBay :)

Cost £50 and came with a sealed Mario Kart Double Dash :lol:

#8 Jmog

Jmog

Whipmaster Extraordinaire

• 1,488 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:43 AM

I got the same package myself from a local shop for 47£. They also had a bundle with silver GC + Wind Waker + Zelda collector's edition (Ocarina, Majora and Zelda 1+2) for the same price. Of course those were sold out in no time.

#9 Patvs

Patvs

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:12 AM

Can anyone confirm the following two statements:

-If your PAL Cube has the digital A/V output and you use a component cable you'll get [great looking] 480i.

-However no PAL games support progressive scan, so if you want 480p you need to import the NTSC version and play them with freeloader.

#10 Jmog

Jmog

Whipmaster Extraordinaire

• 1,488 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:17 PM

Patvs said:

-If your PAL Cube has the digital A/V output and you use a component cable you'll get [great looking] 480i.

You'll get 480i in NTSC games running via Freeloader and 576i in PAL games, yes. It won't be "great looking" - not compared to progressive anyway. Compared to composite it will look very good and slightly better than s-video. It will be pretty much identical to RGB-scart.

-However no PAL games support progressive scan, so if you want 480p you need to import the NTSC version and play them with freeloader.

No PAL games support progressive on a PAL cube. Some of them do when you run them on a NTSC cube using freeloader. How many, I don't know.
NTSC games + freeloader will give you 480p on your PAL cube if the games support it.

#11 Trippe2k

Trippe2k

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:15 AM

Just curious i have the component cables and every time i start up my gamecube ( WITHOUT holding down the B button) it asks me if i want to go into progressive scan. I have yet to hold down the button once and yet all the games still promt me with the option. By no means am i complaining or worried, i am just curious is this common? or am i lucky?

#12 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,272 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:08 AM

It usually does it if you have done it at least once ... after that it will auto prompt almost every time.
Posted Image

#13 alkumuc

alkumuc

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

:mad:  Newbie question  :cool:

So I read all night long how to get my consoles ready to display the best picture quality on my NEC VT540  ( http://selfemploymen...MANUAL32259.pdf )

As far as I know most Pal GC Games dont support Digital out signal! But if i use the qoob mod chip than i can force to right?
Can i force other resolution 480p too?

My projector cant display 480p anyway but probably a vga digital output would be
1) progressive anyway doesnt matter which resolution
2) be much more sharper and brighter than video chinch right?

so can i use a vga cable to use vga resolution or does the gc just support 480p at compisite?

Correct me if i am wrong that my profector cant display 480p and please tell me if there is a way to get a much better picture quality than with the poor yellow chinch video ^^
thx 4 help
alku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!