Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:02 PM) There will come a time where they just can't rely on the base consoles anymore due to their weaker performance. I would like to see how devs deal with this as games get more graphically intense and complex.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:03 PM) Ensuring compatability where base consoles don't get shafted is going to be tougher
@  Brandino : (15 April 2017 - 10:42 AM) booo spam bots
@  TonyDP : (19 April 2017 - 09:34 PM) So Bungie said the light level 400 Mythoclast would have a "generous drop rate" from the Vault of Glass in Destiny's Age of Triumph. I've now completed the raid 9 times and, surprise surprise, still no Vex. My raid team has now completed it 54 times (6 players x 3 weeks x 3 runs per week) and it has only dropped 3 times in total. I am sick of their BS. No Destiny 2 for me. Bungie can go fuck themselves.
@  colonel_j2020 : (20 April 2017 - 06:54 PM) I will quite likely play destiny 2 since I never played destiny.  That does sound sucky.  Reminds of my 20% drop rate in WOW raid.  Do raid 20 times = 0 drops :(
@  TonyDP : (20 April 2017 - 09:06 PM) With Bungie it goes beyond the lousy drop rates. We already had all the stuff and perks they're promoting in Age of Triumph and they took it all away for no good reason. Now they rehash it and try to make it look like they're giving us what we always wanted out of the kindness of their hearts.
@  Brandino : (20 April 2017 - 10:14 PM) I gave up on Destiny a year ago,  the game really wasn't worth the grind.  The rewards are so small for doing the same thing over and over and over again.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:54 PM) Destiny 2 already? But, but... I could've sworn Destiny was supposed to be a 10yr experience. Or something silly like that.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:55 PM) Maybe they meant it'll take them 10yrs to figure out the story & how to get drop rates right. :P
@  d2_s : (27 April 2017 - 05:57 AM) Sorry guys, the moderator control panel dowsnt work like it used to. It used to auto delete all posts for users marked as a Spammer, but it doesnt do that anymore. Royal PITA.
@  d2_s : (27 April 2017 - 06:38 AM) @Tony sucks about the vex drop rates. I havent tried farming for it yet, but so far everything else seems really easy to get. I recall having to do 30-40 Aetheon kills before getting a Vex on X1. I know one guy who farmed for it 2 years solid to get a year 1 Vex.
@  TonyDP : (27 April 2017 - 07:02 PM) d2, one of the guys in my group still has never gotten it. I'm now 0-12 in my quest for the Vex. The group I raid with have collectively done it 72 times (3 tries per week x 6 members x 4 weeks). Out of that it has only dropped 4 times or about 5.5% of the time. On the other hand I have gotten 7 legendary Visions of Confluence. Armor drops are also very stingy. Just Bungie's wonky RNG working as intended I guess.
@  d2_s : (30 April 2017 - 02:23 AM) That's some luck. 1st time I ran the new VoG we carried one guy through ... he gets Vex and Fate Bringer (Adept) in one run. Bungie RNG at it's finest. Fortunately, the adpet primaries from all raids are very easy to get and they are the main guns I want. Good luck chasing that Vex.
@  Brandino : (19 May 2017 - 07:04 PM) Did anyone check out the destiny 2 twitch stream?
@  TonyDP : (19 May 2017 - 07:38 PM) Didn't watch the livestream but saw some gameplay videos. Looks pretty but disappointed that consoles will be capped at 30fps and that all PvP content will be 4v4. Still leaning towards skipping this one (Destiny 1 just required too much of a time commitment).
@  Brandino : (21 May 2017 - 09:39 PM) I watched only tid bits of the live stream... read much more online.  I'm very skeptical... it seems like they copied a lot of multiplayer ideas from Halo 5 and aside from bigger levels... wasn't really sold on the single player content
@  d2_s : (23 May 2017 - 06:29 AM) I was really impressed with the live stream and am looking forward to the game.  The only disappointment to me was all PvP modes being 4v4. Seems like a big step backwards if you ask me.
@  d2_s : (23 May 2017 - 04:27 PM) And of course still no dedicated servers...PvE looks solid though..
@  TonyDP : (23 May 2017 - 09:04 PM) Also not wild about the new weapon loadout system: two primaries and either a special or a heavy. It feels like another attempt to get players to focus on primaries in PvP but compromises your options in PvE.
@  ermac666 : (24 May 2017 - 06:46 AM) Games I am looking forward to for the rest of 2017 are tekken 7, uncharted lost legacy dlc, COD WWII, sonic forces, middle earth shadow of war and marvel vs capcom infinite.

- - - - -

New TV time. Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,484 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:31 AM

Hey B,

I'm so out of the loop with display tech it's not even funny. Been rocking the Kuro since 2009 and though she's served me well all these years, it's probably time I embrace a display with some more modern features.

From what I've seen HDR is as big a deal (if not more) than 4k itself.  If you are looking at using this display for gaming and you want to make good use of HDR I suggest you start looking on forums regarding which has the best implementation of HDR, what modes it can be used in and how it affects input lag. On some displays - so I hear - HDR can have some serious lag so just be forewarned.

Not much to add other than that. Don't know anything about Vizio displays, haven't kept up with what Sharp has been doing...I have heard good things about LG displays, but nothing specific. A cousin of mine has an enormous 4k LG 3D LED tv and I must say I was quite impressed with it. My brother in law recently picked up a 4K LG OLED, which was even more impressive.

Sorry I'm not of much help right now, but at least I could pass on that tidbit about HDR. Hopefully, someone who has been keeping up with things can chime in.

#22 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

All I know is there are 2 kinds of HDR, and the TV and the incoming signal have to be of the same type. It's like DTS & Dolby Digital of the audio realm. I think some devices handle both kinds, but not many.

You're a brave man having small children in a room with a fancy TV. I would always worry they'd throw something and it would accidentally hit the TV & shatter the screen or knock it over. I always figured if I found myself in that situation that I'd buy some thick glass & have it bolted in front to protect it, but then I do like to over-build things. :-P
Failure is not important. How you overcome it is.

"Any day you don't die is a good day."
Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

#23 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:03 AM

View PostBrandino, on 10 September 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hey, it's my old thread!  

My thought would be go with the LG.  I'm still enjoying mine, and I bought a somewhat smaller one for my parents that they enjoy as well.

It's a shame--and more than a little ridiculous--that Sony isn't including a 4K Blu-ray player in the PS4 "Pro," but MS is including one in the new cheep version of their Xbox One.  WTF is that?

Anyhow, I haven't really checked into much of any of this.  Do companies make many 4K blu-rays already?  Are all blu-rays moving towards that standard, and are they usually more expensive than standard blu-rays?
Posted Image

#24 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,370 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:35 AM

I was all set to buy a 65" Sony at Bestbuy since it was on sale advertised on the front page of the flyer....  and sure enough they pulled the old bait and switch routine.   Apparently none of the three locations in my city have them and I am not allowed to get a raincheck/reservation when they do get them in.    I was told that I can call the store around 8 pm Wednesday night as thats when they may get their shipment and if they do receive it that I would then have to race across town by 9 pm to buy it before the sale ends that night.   Got to love the Bestbuy!   I learned all of this after waiting in the store for 30 minutes as the sales employee was trying to find one in the back.

In my angered state I left and went to Costco to buy the massive 75" Sharp... only to then realize that my SUV is just a bit to small for the tv to fit in the back lol....  

The hunt continues today....
Posted Image

#25 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,484 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:07 AM

I pulled the trigger on a Sony X930D last week. I wasn't planning on getting a 4K HDR display so soon, but the price was so good I had to get this one and have retired the gaming Kuro. Black levels are good enough, motion processing and input lag more than acceptable, colours and brightness are exceptional. Despite it having the some of the typical shortfalls of an edge lit display, after calibration I would rate this as being superior to the Kuro in every category other than viewing angles, blacks and motion. Very happy with the purchase. If it wasn't discounted it wouldn't have been my first choice, but for the money I couldn't be happier. Just need the Ps4 Pro to go with it now :)/>

#26 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,484 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:35 PM

Brandino, congrats on your new purchase. May I ask, the Sony you were going to get, was it the X940D?

#27 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,175 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:00 PM

I've had a 50" Vizio P-50 since they came out this summer and I love it. I mostly use it with my PC but have watched some movies on it via the Xbox One S and Vudu/Netflix. HDR is legit. Can't wait to replace my big theater TV with 4k HDR :)

#28 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,370 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:13 PM

View Postd2_s, on 05 October 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Brandino, congrats on your new purchase. May I ask, the Sony you were going to get, was it the X940D?

Nay it was the  x850 which is the cheaper option.

I received my 75" tv today... holy fawk is it huge !  My couches are about 18 feet away so it's the perfect size for that range.

At first I wasn't that blown away... until I realized that by default the energy saving picture mode was enabled on all inputs...  I set them to game mode and standard and holy crap the picture knocked me off my feet.  

Watching some 4k vids off youtube it's absolutely stunning.      Playing games is great... the colors really pop out.   I think that I will be getting the xbox one s with Battlefield one bundle ....  I'm curious to see how or if the HDR makes any difference in that game.   Same goes with Forza and Gears 4 which I bought both.

Back to the TV... for the tiny price I paid the Sharp product is really really nice.  Great value for the price.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!