Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Brandino : (21 May 2017 - 09:39 PM) I watched only tid bits of the live stream... read much more online.  I'm very skeptical... it seems like they copied a lot of multiplayer ideas from Halo 5 and aside from bigger levels... wasn't really sold on the single player content
@  d2_s : (23 May 2017 - 06:29 AM) I was really impressed with the live stream and am looking forward to the game.  The only disappointment to me was all PvP modes being 4v4. Seems like a big step backwards if you ask me.
@  d2_s : (23 May 2017 - 04:27 PM) And of course still no dedicated servers...PvE looks solid though..
@  TonyDP : (23 May 2017 - 09:04 PM) Also not wild about the new weapon loadout system: two primaries and either a special or a heavy. It feels like another attempt to get players to focus on primaries in PvP but compromises your options in PvE.
@  ermac666 : (24 May 2017 - 06:46 AM) Games I am looking forward to for the rest of 2017 are tekken 7, uncharted lost legacy dlc, COD WWII, sonic forces, middle earth shadow of war and marvel vs capcom infinite.
@  colonel_j2020 : (01 June 2017 - 06:31 PM) The only new game this year I know I will play is destiny 2...mostly since I never played the first one.  I am curious about Sea Of Thieves and Crackdown 3.
@  ermac666 : (02 June 2017 - 10:16 AM) I just got tekken 7 on the ps4. Man, the presentation is top notch and the story mode was intense. i enjoyed it very much. Music is alo amazing. Tekken series always  has no shortage of good presentation and music along with fun gameplay. Highly recommend it!
@  d2_s : (06 June 2017 - 10:25 AM) @Tony I'm also iffy on the new loadout system. Seems like PvE is being limited by a loadout system that seems geared towards PvP. I am really disappointed by the PvP announcements. Just making it more competitive and geared towards pure PvP players IMO, but no dedicated servers and only 30fps goes against that. Time will tell.
@  d2_s : (06 June 2017 - 10:28 AM) @Ermac Tekken 7 is a very polished title, one of the best fighters available if not the best currently IMO. Speaking of polished titles I've been playing Wipeout Omega collection. It's simply sublime on PS4 Pro @2160p running at a rock solid 60fps.
@  TonyDP : (06 June 2017 - 05:30 PM) @d2_s, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to pass on Destiny 2; I really don't want to sink over a thousand hours into one game anymore and since picking up my PSVR "flat" games have become far less interesting.
@  d2_s : (07 June 2017 - 04:55 PM) I don't blame you. I'm already in, but unless it blows me away I wont be putting anywhere near the time I put into D1.
@  ermac666 : (13 June 2017 - 09:38 PM) Sony E3 presentaion is a mixed bag for me. The games shown are what I want, and I will definitely buy the games. The games are there, but the show itself was weak. They just showed slide after slide with no hype or presentation between them. Games/exclusives were great, but the energy wasn't there. My gripe is with the show itself, and not the games.
@  Brandino : (14 June 2017 - 01:16 AM) What's sad was Mario Odyssey graphically looks worse then Yooka Laylee...  Metroid Prime 4 is not being developed by Retro...
@  Brandino : (14 June 2017 - 01:17 AM) What's awesome was the South park video game looked hilarious and way over the top
@  TonyDP : (14 June 2017 - 08:37 PM) All the E3 presentations I saw were pretty blah. For me, Sony had the best games and their PSVR lineup was particularly impressive and showed a lot of potential. The XB1X disappointed me; it seems overpowered given the lack of 1st party titles and no VR support. I doubt much software will tap its full potential.
@  ermac666 : (17 June 2017 - 09:16 PM) I was watching a few vids on digital foundry's analysis on the XB1X. It seems that forza 7 was the only game that is native 4k, 60 fps. The rest shown at E3 like assassins creed origins are mostly checkerboard upscaled to 4K like the ps4 pro. I don't know if the XB1X is held back for parity with 3rd party games or if the XB1X is not powerful enough to handle 4K with no issues.
@  d2_s : (17 June 2017 - 10:00 PM) I read the same thing. I honestly never expected the majority of games to be native 4k anyway. It's a nicely balanced system with some nice grunt for a console, but it's no miracle box. I look forward to seeing how the XB1X and the Pro are used now that both major platforms have Faux K options devs will be supporting more.
@  TonyDP : (19 June 2017 - 07:10 PM) This is typical of 3rd party development though; they almost NEVER take full advantage of a specific platform's hardware. First party MS games like Forza will look the best, third party stuff like ACO will look comparable across all the platforms.
@  d2_s : (19 June 2017 - 10:16 PM) I'm in agreement with you Tony and I would hazzard a guess that Sony's own exclusives will be impressive enough that people wont be wishing they were on XB1X much like the X1's exclusives were technically as good as anything else.
@  ermac666 : (20 June 2017 - 06:37 AM) I am quite impressed with the ps4 exclusives like days gone where there are tons of zombies on screen, and the game still maintains the frame rate and graphical fidelity. It is also no typical shooter where you endlessly just shoot down zombies. You have to utilise the environments and stealth to play. Story looks to be good as well.

- - - - -

Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,175 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostTonyDP, on 02 March 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

Everything I've read basically says that the system works best in handheld mode, even though it is way too bulky to be truly considered portable. When connected to a TV, the system's limitations quickly become obvious as even Legend of Zelda, their flagship title at launch, has severe framerate dips and the mediocre textures become quite obvious. So you have a portable that is really too big to be a practical portable and a console that is woefully underpowered so any ports are pretty much guaranteed to be inferior.

Well, I am absolutely shocked.

#22 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

I ended up buying a Switch to play Zelda. I wasn't going to get one, but after watching BotW on Twitch for several hours I had to play it.

Not overly impressed by the system itself. It's overpriced, lacks storage and the joy cons (in my opinion) are worthless. The pro controller is a must if you are older than 5, no way I could play zelda without it. It was an extra $100 AUD to get one.

Oh and that hunk of plastic you mount the joy cons on to simulate a traditional controller, it's unusable IMO - way too uncomfortable. The cherry on top is that it's nothing more than a lump of plastic, you can't plug a charge cable into it or anything. You can buy one with a charging function separately for approx' $40 AUD

The price breakdown was:
   Switch $469 AUD
   Zelda $89 AUD
   Pro Controller $100 AUD

Total $648 AUD. To put that price into perspective, I bought a 500GB Xbox One S late last year with Battlefield 1 for $389 AUD.

On the upside, the new Zelda is one of the best games I've played in a very long time and I'm not ashamed to say I bought a switch just to play it. Worth every cent IMO

#23 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,248 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Glad you're enjoying Zelda D2. Switch in its current form isn't for me but who knows, if they get some decent 3rd party portable games that are fun and look cool I may take the plunge one day. I doubt I'd use it much as a console connected to my TV but as an oversized portable the game should look pretty.

#24 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,487 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

I hear you Tony, the Switch isn't for me at all, but it was the only way I was going to play that game. If it were just another Zelda game I would have passed, but BotW is one of the most refreshing open world games to come in along while and it won my heart. Only reason I have the system.

If I hadn't gifted my Wii U and its library of fine games to my brother inlaw and nephew, I would have just picked up that version instead. Seeing as I have the system now I'm going to go with it for a while. It has a small footprint while docked and the cabling is clean so at least it doesn't create much clutter.

#25 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Around these parts (Canada) they are making it seem like the Switch is nearly impossible to find and as popular and as hot as the Wii when it was released.  

Talking to my friends and co-workers I have yet to meet anyone who has bought one or even has entertained the thought of getting a system.  

Reading the local sub-reddits it seems like stores are getting only 5 - 10 consoles per week which makes me believe that Nintendo is creating false hype again.  To put it in perspective back in my day when I worked at video game stores with other console releases... we would get closer to 50 consoles per week.  

I definitely am turned off on getting one still since it really seems massively over priced for what you get.   Ideally I would be all in once it's at a price point of half of what they are charging now and preferably it will be modded by then.....
Posted Image

#26 colonel_j2020

colonel_j2020

Taco Bell, why must you taste so delicious?

• 1,317 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

I hear you on this.  The hardware and accessories are super expensive.  I might actually pass on playing Zelda since I could never justify buying a wii u either.
Posted Image

#27 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,248 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Nintendo may be trying to create false hype but I don't think its working. When the Wii was released it dominated the news for weeks and even mainstream outlets would regularly carry stories on it and the shortages and long lines. I've seen none of this with the Switch. I'm sure the Nintendo furries were camped out to get it but once that initial burst came and went buzz about the system has pretty quickly died down. Reminds me a lot of the Wii-U's release so far.

#28 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• 5,175 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

I haven't played a Zelda game since... I think Twilight Princess? Was that the last Gamecube Zelda? I would absolutely love to play them, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a Zelda machine, which for me is all Nintendo system's would have been since the Gamecube. Hopefully they get their shit together, but I doubt it :(

#29 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,487 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:02 AM

Hopefully they go 3rd party and we can play their games on nice hardware for once.

#30 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

d2, maybe they'll follow MS & Sony's example by releasing a "Switch: Beefcake Home Ed." that's more powerful but not mobile. Of course, it's Nintendo, so they'd probably go with a name like "Swii-u Ed." or  "Switch: Woo Ed." or something knuckle-headed like that.
Failure is not important. How you overcome it is.

"Any day you don't die is a good day."
Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

#31 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,371 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

So Ubisoft is making a Mario Raving Rabbids RPG for the Switch... turn based...   at least Nintendo is trying some new things
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!