Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  colonel_j2020 : (29 March 2017 - 05:54 PM) I know that probably doesnt make sense but its good fun.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (29 March 2017 - 11:05 PM) Did Bro-Force ever get updated on PS4?  That game had some strange frame rate issues when it hit PS Plus a while back.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (30 March 2017 - 07:21 PM) Titanfall 2 free weekend is going on now.
@  ermac666 : (07 April 2017 - 09:21 PM) Digital foundry did the xbox scorpio tech reveal, and it's looking very powerful for a console. Then again, MS exclusives are also coming to PCs, so that makes it a hard sell for those who have a PC.
@  ermac666 : (07 April 2017 - 09:21 PM) A capable PC that is...
@  colonel_j2020 : (10 April 2017 - 05:23 PM) Why are they pushing out scorpio already?  Didn't the S just come out a year ago?
@  TonyDP : (10 April 2017 - 07:28 PM) Aaaaaaaaand the spam is back
@  SpaceInsomniac : (11 April 2017 - 04:57 AM) The S was never meant to be a replacement, only a better entry-level console.  They're not pushing out Scorpio.  If anything, they waited a long while after the PS Pro was released.  None of it will matter if they can't get 3rd party developers to make their games look better than a PS4 pro version, though.
@  ermac666 : (11 April 2017 - 05:42 AM) The thing with MS is that now most of their exclusives are also coming to pc which could somewhat take away the shine of the scorpio if it ends up looking/running better. I am still intrigued about the scorpio and how it would do.
@  kyle_5_16 : (13 April 2017 - 11:12 AM) I absolutely love that MS titles have "play anywhere" now. I mostly play on my PC, but being able to pick up where I left off up in my living room on the Xbox is amazing. I'll probably pick up a Scorpio just so the experience can be as close to my PC as possible. I have bought more MS/Xbox games because of that ability.
@  MrEastSide : (14 April 2017 - 04:23 AM) I'm glad my 3 years old PC and GTX980 Superclocked still demolishes the PS4 Pro and Scorpio. Sony and MS really need to stay in their lanes and realize that doing incremental console revisions like this is going to kill their systems.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:02 PM) There will come a time where they just can't rely on the base consoles anymore due to their weaker performance. I would like to see how devs deal with this as games get more graphically intense and complex.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:03 PM) Ensuring compatability where base consoles don't get shafted is going to be tougher
@  Brandino : (15 April 2017 - 10:42 AM) booo spam bots
@  TonyDP : (19 April 2017 - 09:34 PM) So Bungie said the light level 400 Mythoclast would have a "generous drop rate" from the Vault of Glass in Destiny's Age of Triumph. I've now completed the raid 9 times and, surprise surprise, still no Vex. My raid team has now completed it 54 times (6 players x 3 weeks x 3 runs per week) and it has only dropped 3 times in total. I am sick of their BS. No Destiny 2 for me. Bungie can go fuck themselves.
@  colonel_j2020 : (20 April 2017 - 06:54 PM) I will quite likely play destiny 2 since I never played destiny.  That does sound sucky.  Reminds of my 20% drop rate in WOW raid.  Do raid 20 times = 0 drops :(
@  TonyDP : (20 April 2017 - 09:06 PM) With Bungie it goes beyond the lousy drop rates. We already had all the stuff and perks they're promoting in Age of Triumph and they took it all away for no good reason. Now they rehash it and try to make it look like they're giving us what we always wanted out of the kindness of their hearts.
@  Brandino : (20 April 2017 - 10:14 PM) I gave up on Destiny a year ago,  the game really wasn't worth the grind.  The rewards are so small for doing the same thing over and over and over again.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:54 PM) Destiny 2 already? But, but... I could've sworn Destiny was supposed to be a 10yr experience. Or something silly like that.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:55 PM) Maybe they meant it'll take them 10yrs to figure out the story & how to get drop rates right. :P

- - - - -

Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,174 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

View PostTonyDP, on 02 March 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

Everything I've read basically says that the system works best in handheld mode, even though it is way too bulky to be truly considered portable. When connected to a TV, the system's limitations quickly become obvious as even Legend of Zelda, their flagship title at launch, has severe framerate dips and the mediocre textures become quite obvious. So you have a portable that is really too big to be a practical portable and a console that is woefully underpowered so any ports are pretty much guaranteed to be inferior.

Well, I am absolutely shocked.

#22 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:10 AM

I ended up buying a Switch to play Zelda. I wasn't going to get one, but after watching BotW on Twitch for several hours I had to play it.

Not overly impressed by the system itself. It's overpriced, lacks storage and the joy cons (in my opinion) are worthless. The pro controller is a must if you are older than 5, no way I could play zelda without it. It was an extra $100 AUD to get one.

Oh and that hunk of plastic you mount the joy cons on to simulate a traditional controller, it's unusable IMO - way too uncomfortable. The cherry on top is that it's nothing more than a lump of plastic, you can't plug a charge cable into it or anything. You can buy one with a charging function separately for approx' $40 AUD

The price breakdown was:
   Switch $469 AUD
   Zelda $89 AUD
   Pro Controller $100 AUD

Total $648 AUD. To put that price into perspective, I bought a 500GB Xbox One S late last year with Battlefield 1 for $389 AUD.

On the upside, the new Zelda is one of the best games I've played in a very long time and I'm not ashamed to say I bought a switch just to play it. Worth every cent IMO

#23 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Glad you're enjoying Zelda D2. Switch in its current form isn't for me but who knows, if they get some decent 3rd party portable games that are fun and look cool I may take the plunge one day. I doubt I'd use it much as a console connected to my TV but as an oversized portable the game should look pretty.
Posted Image

#24 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

I hear you Tony, the Switch isn't for me at all, but it was the only way I was going to play that game. If it were just another Zelda game I would have passed, but BotW is one of the most refreshing open world games to come in along while and it won my heart. Only reason I have the system.

If I hadn't gifted my Wii U and its library of fine games to my brother inlaw and nephew, I would have just picked up that version instead. Seeing as I have the system now I'm going to go with it for a while. It has a small footprint while docked and the cabling is clean so at least it doesn't create much clutter.

#25 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Around these parts (Canada) they are making it seem like the Switch is nearly impossible to find and as popular and as hot as the Wii when it was released.  

Talking to my friends and co-workers I have yet to meet anyone who has bought one or even has entertained the thought of getting a system.  

Reading the local sub-reddits it seems like stores are getting only 5 - 10 consoles per week which makes me believe that Nintendo is creating false hype again.  To put it in perspective back in my day when I worked at video game stores with other console releases... we would get closer to 50 consoles per week.  

I definitely am turned off on getting one still since it really seems massively over priced for what you get.   Ideally I would be all in once it's at a price point of half of what they are charging now and preferably it will be modded by then.....
Posted Image

#26 colonel_j2020

colonel_j2020

Taco Bell, why must you taste so delicious?

• 1,315 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:38 PM

I hear you on this.  The hardware and accessories are super expensive.  I might actually pass on playing Zelda since I could never justify buying a wii u either.
Posted Image

#27 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Nintendo may be trying to create false hype but I don't think its working. When the Wii was released it dominated the news for weeks and even mainstream outlets would regularly carry stories on it and the shortages and long lines. I've seen none of this with the Switch. I'm sure the Nintendo furries were camped out to get it but once that initial burst came and went buzz about the system has pretty quickly died down. Reminds me a lot of the Wii-U's release so far.
Posted Image

#28 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• 5,174 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

I haven't played a Zelda game since... I think Twilight Princess? Was that the last Gamecube Zelda? I would absolutely love to play them, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a Zelda machine, which for me is all Nintendo system's would have been since the Gamecube. Hopefully they get their shit together, but I doubt it :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!