Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  ermac666 : (07 September 2017 - 10:15 AM) Knack 2 is also out for those who are into it. It looks good, and the game is sold at a cheaper price which is nice. Game seems much improved over knack 1.
@  d2_s : (08 September 2017 - 04:35 AM) Getting another PS4 Pro seemed to do the trick for me. Must be a minor hardware error or something. The 2nd one I bought is the same model. Seems quite a few people are affected by this problem.
@  Brandino : (09 September 2017 - 01:44 AM) So far Destiny 2 has been fun to play.  The graphics definitely are a notch higher and the levels don't seem so sparse and quiet.
@  TonyDP : (10 September 2017 - 09:05 PM) I've found the difficulty to be better balanced on the activities I've played so far. I tend to play solo a lot and I never really felt overwhelmed; when my guardian died it was usually because I didn't take my time and tried rushing ahead. The loot drop rate is pretty good too. I already have about a dozen exotics and have gotten enough legendaries that my Warlock has all legendary/exotic gear equipped
@  TonyDP : (10 September 2017 - 09:06 PM) and I have about 100 legendary shards in the bank. Not bad for 5 days; way way better than the early days of Destiny 1.
@  Goldenheart : (12 September 2017 - 06:30 PM) So... interesting thing happened. We got a new apartment, looked up the local internet providers, dialed Comcast's phone number, and got a message saying the call couldn't be completed as dialed. My wife tried the # on her phone. Same message. We're thinking it's very odd such a big company can't get its own phone number right. We call a 3rd time using an app that acts like a phone. Got right through. It seems AT&T doesn't like its customers dialing Comcast.  :crazy:
@  Brandino : (13 September 2017 - 12:14 AM) I'm finding Destiny 2 as more of an expansion then a true sequel.  It's fun and they fixed a lot of mistakes from the first.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (13 September 2017 - 10:11 AM) Glad to hear Destiny on PS4 is now working for you d2.  You should join LeadBetter and me sometime.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (13 September 2017 - 02:24 PM) And I'm guessing you already have a clan in mind for PS4 Destiny, but if not, you're welcome to join ours.  So far it's myself, LeadBetter, and a group of people that I played a lot of Titanfall 2 with.
@  d2_s : (14 September 2017 - 04:34 PM) @Space cheers. I'm with the same clan I was in the original Destiny. We should play, I wouldn't mind doing the nightfall and rat king quest with you guys if you haven't done them already. Haven't had a chance  to play much this week, but should be ok this weekend.
@  d2_s : (14 September 2017 - 04:35 PM) Happy to raid with you guys too if condtions permit.
@  Goldenheart : (16 September 2017 - 09:16 PM) So... odd thing happened. We got a new apartment in Philly. I tried to call Comcast to ask about their internet & got a message that my call couldn't be completed as dialed. My wife tried & got the same message. I thought it odd such a big company couldn't get their own ph# right. Then, we dialed using an app that acted like a phone. We got right through. Seems AT&T doesn't like their customers dialing comcast.
@  Goldenheart : (16 September 2017 - 09:17 PM) & then I tried calling to end internet service at the old house & the computer hung up on me! A week later, I made it back to the old house & found the modem dead! No lights, nothing.
@  Goldenheart : (16 September 2017 - 09:17 PM) old house has AT&T internet & AT&T modem.
@  KaliniuS : (17 September 2017 - 04:14 PM) It's time for my semi-annual check-in at HDTV Arcade lol
@  KaliniuS : (17 September 2017 - 04:17 PM) I've been helping beta test the Steam version of Killer Instinct lately. Speaking of KI, I'm actually going to a tournament on September 30th here in Raleigh, NC. It's called "The Fall Classic." Wish me luck!
@  ermac666 : (20 September 2017 - 06:00 AM) Speaking of fighting games, marvel vs capcom: infinite is out for ps4/pro, XB1 and PC. It plays great with more modes than SFV at launch. I am still getting used to the gem system.
@  ermac666 : (20 September 2017 - 06:02 AM) The only downside is that future dlc characters are behind a pay wall, and there are no x-men characters as 20th century fox now owns the x-men licence from what I understand.
@  TonyDP : (25 September 2017 - 07:43 PM) Marvel has really marginalized the X-Man, and Fantastic Four as well, pretty much removing them from the larger universe, most likely as part of some long game to reclaim those IPs from Fox, who owns them basically in perpetuity as long as they make a movie every few years.
@  Goldenheart : (25 September 2017 - 09:57 PM) Good luck Kal! Kick some Killer butt!

- - - - -

MS E3 Presentation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

So, what did everyone think about Microsoft's E3 presentation and the new Xbox one X?

I've been an Xbox owner since the OG console all the way back in 2001; bought every one of their consoles since then multiple times; but I must confess to being pretty disappointed by this presentation. Forza 7 and Sea of Thieves look mildly interesting but everything else left me cold. Pretty graphics alone are not enough to get me interested in dropping $60 on a game anymore and most of the games shown just have mechanics that I've played to death for years now.

Quite honestly the Xbox One X as it is being called felt like a waste of horsepower. All those specs but nothing groundbreaking in terms of the experience of playing a game. No new game ideas, no new controllers, no VR/AR, just largely more of the same, only slightly prettier. MS really played it safe on this one; nothing daring and no real vision at all. Really disappointed and no compelling reason yet for me to pre-order the new console.

#2 colonel_j2020

colonel_j2020

Taco Bell, why must you taste so delicious?

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

The other concern I have is all they did was push 4k, 4k, 4k, 4k, 4k.  I feel many there are quite a few people like me who still have good 1080p screens and wont get much out of the super sampling to 1080p.
Posted Image

#3 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

I thought that they had a good showing. The multiplats like assassins creed look great. I like the new setting. It may have the same gameplay, but it also looks and feels fresh at the same time. Some of the exclusives like forza 7, state of decay 2 and crackdown 3 looked good as well. Anthem looked stunning. Is Anthem a multiplat? Regardless, the XB1X version of it looked nice, and a good way to close the show.

XBOX One X being smaller than the xbox one s is interesting for a more powerful console. The specs reveal was what I expected since I have been reading about it.
What I am curious about is how they will improve the old XBOX One games that are already downgraded in terms of effects/textures over the base ps4 version. Are they just going to just up res those games?

#4 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:21 PM

Anthem is multi-platform; I think MS has some timed exclusive content but still, they acted like it was a console exclusive, which I thought was pretty pathetic and showed how little first party stuff they had.

I was actually kind of disappointed by what I saw of Crackdown; graphically it didn't seem like the quantum leap MS was promising.

Like Colonel mentioned, they seemed fixated with repeating again and again the "4K" mantra. I'm another person who has a perfectly good 1080p TV and I can't really justify picking up a 4K model right now, not to mention the fact that as I own over 100 3D movies I'm not particularly happy that hardly any new 4K TVs even support 3D anymore.

Also, even though I wasn't expecting any formal VR announcement, I was really disappointed by their completely ignoring it. Instead of the incessant emphasis on 4K and all the retreads and sequels I would have liked to have seen a bit more in the way of innovation when it comes to how the games are played. Sadly there was none of that.

If my current Xbox One S fails, then I might take a look at the X but at this juncture, after having enjoyed my time with PSVR, I was seriously disappointed and underwhelmed as "flat" gaming just doesn't have the appeal for me that it once had.

#5 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,489 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

I hear you Tony. I felt that E3 as a whole was underwhelming this year. MS's presenation wasn't the worst, but it wasn't the best either. MS has certainly built a nice piece of hardware and will likely be the place for 3rd party titles from here on out, but what about exclusives? What about innovation? These are the things that make consoles relevant in the first place. This is something their main competitor has over them.

The Pro may not be the big boy - in terms of horsepower - on the market anymore, but what it will have is exclusives and lots of them and those exclusives will look the business just as exclusives do on any other platform do. This is what MS really needs, but I'm not sure it's their main focus anymore. I think MS are playing the long game and are consolidating their platform going forward. Games and innovation will come I'm sure, but in what quantities? And how long do people need to wait? In the meantime their competition has games and innovations like VR that people can enjoy now.

Anyway, XB1X will retail for $650 AUD, which is about the same price the premium 360 launched in Australia. That's a decent price and i'll save a chunk by selling/trading my Day One XB1 and XB1S so I guess I'm in day one.

#6 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

Reports I read was that Crackdown 3 looked bad and that the fully destructible environments are only for PVP multiplayer???

I don't get the love for Sea of Thieves... I can't imagine that being fun for more then a few hours?  I could see if they had massive on land levels to explore as a team... the ship sailing reminds me of the worst parts of Wind Waker... the Ubisoft pirate game also looked much cleaner and better.  

What got my juices flowing though was Anthem... looked awesome.
Posted Image

#7 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,489 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

Video footage of Crackdown single player was disappointing, but if it's as fun as the original I'm still in.

Like B I am not excited about Sea of Thieves and that as much as it pains me to admit, that Ubisoft Pirate game looked more impressive.

Anthem looked graphically awesome, but we'll see how it pans out...looks like another Destiny type game to me. If the game can back up those visuals, then I'm definately in.

I guess going forward I'll be picking up more multiplats on XB1X, but we'll see how that pans out. My main concern is 3rd parties holding back to maintain relative platform parity, but that's a whole other discussion.

Another aside, I saw a recent interview with Phil Spencer and he stated that MS doesn't have any firm commitments as far as AR or VR goes and though they are investigating, he doesn't see a real demand for it on Xbox at this point in time. So it looks like Sony will have a monopoly in the console VR space for the time being.

#8 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

The potentially interesting hook with Sea of Thieves is that you can party up to play the game, with each person having a different role. Obviously a lot will depend on how much you have to do and how well its supported post launch. Still, it will also run on the XB1S and given the graphical style, I don't think the experience will be that much better on the XB1X (something I think will be true of most games).

The problem with the XB1X is that, as D2 said, there are few exclusives and 3rd party developers will do little more than hit that 4k checkbox. Historically first party games are the ones that take most advantage of hardware and MS has precious few of those. Bungie has already said Destiny 2 will be capped at 30fps on all consoles; I see more 3rd party developers taking that lowest common denominator approach as well.

Microsoft's stance on VR is puzzling to me. They say it is best suited to the PC, yet Sony's PSVR has sold more units than both Oculus and Vive combined despite being commercially available for a shorter period of time. PC based VR is expensive and beyond the scope of the average consumer. The install base of PCs may be large, but the percentage of those that can run VR is probably a small fraction, and of those, the number that will actually shell out the money for a PC based VR solution is even smaller. VR's best chance of becoming successful is on the consumer level, not with the PC enthusiast.

Sony on the other hand had a lot of impressive looking VR software: Skyrim, Doom, ROM, Arizona Sunshine, Archangel, The Persistence and more. And a lot of those are coming out before the end of the year (some within the next few weeks).

#9 colonel_j2020

colonel_j2020

Taco Bell, why must you taste so delicious?

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:32 PM

Anthem does get me excited.  I feel Bioware can't really make a good RPG anymore IMO so maybe this is the right place for them to go.

I am interested in Sea of Theives but as Brandino said, I am not sure how exciting it will be for how long.

I'm mostly hyped for destiny 2 on PC since I never played the first one.
Posted Image

#10 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,489 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

My confidence in Bioware isn't exactly sky high these days. Anthem is technically very nice, but based on my initial impressions it looks like a team based loot shooter. Whether it's more like Borderlands or more like Destiny will heavily sway my opinion. Destiny - in my opinion - has some of the most refined shooter mechanics to ever grace a console. So if that's what they're going up against, then Bioware has their work cut out. Of course, this could all mean nothing in the PC space with K&M support.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy D2. I'm almost tempted to pick it up for PC myself just to see it in 4K @ framerates higher than 30.

@Tony just one other thing regarding XB1X and VR. There have been rumours for some time of Oculus working with it and should they prove true, then maybe it's the case that MS aren't against 3rd partys experimenting with VR until they're ready to officially support it? It would be better than nothing, but without a breakout box of some kind I'm not sure what the quality would be like. Time will tell Inguess, but I'm certain they haven't been idle despite their official stance.

#11 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

Bioware said that they have a 10 year plan with Anthem. Now where have I heard that line before? Like you said, they have their work cut out for them, especially after the dasappointing Mass Effect Andromeda. Personally, I have little interest in another 1,000 hour grindfest like Destiny. That was fun once but I do not want to give up all my gaming time to one title anymore.

As for XB1X and VR, who knows what will happen d2. Oculus support might be interesting but the headset resolution is only a bit better than PSVR and it suffers from the "godrays" with its fresnel lenses. I also have a hard time believing they would be able to release an XB1X solution with MS' blessing; it would be only one firmware update from being obsolete. And lets not forget their ongoing problems with Zenimax. As long as Sony continues to push PSVR I'll be happy and if I get the itch for something more compelling I might just try a PC solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!