Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  d2_s : (06 September 2017 - 04:16 PM) @Space sorry not to address you. The above post was for you too :)
@  d2_s : (06 September 2017 - 04:19 PM) As a side note, the brief bit I did get to play was very enjoyable. The patrol zones are much bigger, more dense and more action packed.  My issues started after arriving in the 1st major patrol zone. After 1-2 hours there my issues started and the game hasn't lasted 5 minutes since.
@  ermac666 : (07 September 2017 - 10:15 AM) Knack 2 is also out for those who are into it. It looks good, and the game is sold at a cheaper price which is nice. Game seems much improved over knack 1.
@  d2_s : (08 September 2017 - 04:35 AM) Getting another PS4 Pro seemed to do the trick for me. Must be a minor hardware error or something. The 2nd one I bought is the same model. Seems quite a few people are affected by this problem.
@  Brandino : (09 September 2017 - 01:44 AM) So far Destiny 2 has been fun to play.  The graphics definitely are a notch higher and the levels don't seem so sparse and quiet.
@  TonyDP : (10 September 2017 - 09:05 PM) I've found the difficulty to be better balanced on the activities I've played so far. I tend to play solo a lot and I never really felt overwhelmed; when my guardian died it was usually because I didn't take my time and tried rushing ahead. The loot drop rate is pretty good too. I already have about a dozen exotics and have gotten enough legendaries that my Warlock has all legendary/exotic gear equipped
@  TonyDP : (10 September 2017 - 09:06 PM) and I have about 100 legendary shards in the bank. Not bad for 5 days; way way better than the early days of Destiny 1.
@  Goldenheart : (12 September 2017 - 06:30 PM) So... interesting thing happened. We got a new apartment, looked up the local internet providers, dialed Comcast's phone number, and got a message saying the call couldn't be completed as dialed. My wife tried the # on her phone. Same message. We're thinking it's very odd such a big company can't get its own phone number right. We call a 3rd time using an app that acts like a phone. Got right through. It seems AT&T doesn't like its customers dialing Comcast.  :crazy:
@  Brandino : (13 September 2017 - 12:14 AM) I'm finding Destiny 2 as more of an expansion then a true sequel.  It's fun and they fixed a lot of mistakes from the first.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (13 September 2017 - 10:11 AM) Glad to hear Destiny on PS4 is now working for you d2.  You should join LeadBetter and me sometime.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (13 September 2017 - 02:24 PM) And I'm guessing you already have a clan in mind for PS4 Destiny, but if not, you're welcome to join ours.  So far it's myself, LeadBetter, and a group of people that I played a lot of Titanfall 2 with.
@  d2_s : (14 September 2017 - 04:34 PM) @Space cheers. I'm with the same clan I was in the original Destiny. We should play, I wouldn't mind doing the nightfall and rat king quest with you guys if you haven't done them already. Haven't had a chance  to play much this week, but should be ok this weekend.
@  d2_s : (14 September 2017 - 04:35 PM) Happy to raid with you guys too if condtions permit.
@  Goldenheart : (16 September 2017 - 09:16 PM) So... odd thing happened. We got a new apartment in Philly. I tried to call Comcast to ask about their internet & got a message that my call couldn't be completed as dialed. My wife tried & got the same message. I thought it odd such a big company couldn't get their own ph# right. Then, we dialed using an app that acted like a phone. We got right through. Seems AT&T doesn't like their customers dialing comcast.
@  Goldenheart : (16 September 2017 - 09:17 PM) & then I tried calling to end internet service at the old house & the computer hung up on me! A week later, I made it back to the old house & found the modem dead! No lights, nothing.
@  Goldenheart : (16 September 2017 - 09:17 PM) old house has AT&T internet & AT&T modem.
@  KaliniuS : (17 September 2017 - 04:14 PM) It's time for my semi-annual check-in at HDTV Arcade lol
@  KaliniuS : (17 September 2017 - 04:17 PM) I've been helping beta test the Steam version of Killer Instinct lately. Speaking of KI, I'm actually going to a tournament on September 30th here in Raleigh, NC. It's called "The Fall Classic." Wish me luck!
@  ermac666 : (20 September 2017 - 06:00 AM) Speaking of fighting games, marvel vs capcom: infinite is out for ps4/pro, XB1 and PC. It plays great with more modes than SFV at launch. I am still getting used to the gem system.
@  ermac666 : (20 September 2017 - 06:02 AM) The only downside is that future dlc characters are behind a pay wall, and there are no x-men characters as 20th century fox now owns the x-men licence from what I understand.

- - - - -

New TV time. Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

Been meaning to make this thread for a couple of days now, haven't had time to do any research yet, but I just wanted to throw it out there so I can get some suggestions from you experts.

Right now, all I know is that I'm looking for something that's somewhat large, and that I'm fairly indifferent to 3D.

Oh, and please enjoy this song:

Posted Image

#2 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

All I can say is go plasma for smooth, sharp moving images. LCD TV's have that motion blur that I can see. Turning on the 120Hz Motion Enhancement feature makes things look funny to me, and it doesn't work too well with quick moving images, like video games. It produces ghosting & other visual glitches. Funny thing is, if you turn off the frame interpolation feature, it looks exactly the same as a simple 60Hz LCD TV, blur and all. (That's all from playing with an LG 120Hz LCD HDTV.)
Failure is not important. How you overcome it is.

"Any day you don't die is a good day."
Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

#3 Shimshuta

Shimshuta

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Games, Books, Movies, Building PCs.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

If I had the cash, I would get a plasma. I do not, so I got a LG 47 inch for cheap. I turned the true motion off on mine, I have not had the same experience as Goldenheart. Picture is sharp and clear, with no blocking or blurring on the edges. I upgraded from a 720p LG from 2007, which had horrendous blur/edge blocking issues. I agree with Goldenheart though, look into all possible plasma TVs first. If you can't find one, then broaden your search out to LCDs.

http://reviews.cnet....est-plasma-tvs/

#4 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,489 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

My sentiments are pretty much the same as Shims. I would look into a plasma first - I'll have a look as some specific sets when I find a moment, have just been too tied up ATM. Do you have a budget in mind? Helps to narrow down the search. If you want to look in your own time I'd star with the Panasonic plasmas.

As far as the LG's go. I had 2 cousins buy 3 of these recently and I was really impressed with the image quality. I've only seen games on the LG's though, I haven't seen movies so I can't comment on the motion issues GoldenHeart brought up. As far as a gaming display goes, you really can't go wrong with these and the 3d (though not important to you) is the cherry on top of the cake.

#5 karmaslave

karmaslave

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've had a series of excellent HDTV's but I easily prize my LG LED over the previous LCDs. I've had good luck with Samsung and Toshiba too. I haven't messed with many plasmas but I hear they ironed out the life expectancy issue and they obviously have their fans. I will say that once I got my TV set up properly (took a couple of days) I didn't notice motion blur. If you go LED with auto dimming, I highly suggest turning the brightness down and turning autodimming off because that was annoying to the point of worrisome to me.

If gaming is your primary interest make sure you have good contrast and refresh rates and then check a site like testfreaks.com for reviews. HDTVs have really gone down in the past couple of years so you should be able to get a good deal.

#6 MrEastSide

MrEastSide

• Members
  • 3,632 posts
  • Interests:Poop

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Depending on what kind of money you want to spend, LCDs can look just as good as any plasma.  At least now days.  This wasn't so just a couple of years ago.  But, the gap has closed.  Still for size, plasmas are cheaper.  My 60" Sony LED LCD flagship model cost $4200 just last year.  It looks better, to me, than any plasma I've seen in the last year.  My TVs are also always in fairly bright rooms, so plasma probably wouldn't be the way to go for me.  Plus, I play so many video games, I don't want burn-in being in the back of my mind. I don't use Sony's motion flow either.  Too much of a soap opera effect.  However, I like the 240hz refresh rate.  Blu-rays at 24p look far better than on any old 60hz LCD I've ever had.

That said, bright room or lots of video game playing would equal LCD for me.  Dark room and mostly movie content would probably steer me toward plasma.
Posted Image

Posted Image

"We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet, we haven't learned to walk the earth as brothers and sisters!"

"Are you threatening me?  ARE YOU THREATENING ME...  OK, no, no... I just wanted to confirm that you were threatening me."

#7 colonel_j2020

colonel_j2020

Taco Bell, why must you taste so delicious?

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

I'd agree with the LED LCD Tvs that 120Hz looks very un-natural to me.  It almost looks like things are in fast motion.  Plasmas give best colour reporduction still but do draw a bit more power.  I'd probably go with LCD if the 120Hz didn't bother me otherwise go for plasma.  This is just what I would do if I was buying a TV now.
Posted Image

#8 MrEastSide

MrEastSide

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

It's not the 120hz or 240hz that causes the smoothing, soap opera effect.  It's the motion interpolation feature that the TVs use, which can always be turned off.

The 120hz or 240hz is simply the TV's refresh rate.  Which is a good thing to have because it properly displays 24p content from Blu-ray discs, which to my knowledge, most plasmas do not, except for some of the highest end models.
Posted Image

Posted Image

"We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet, we haven't learned to walk the earth as brothers and sisters!"

"Are you threatening me?  ARE YOU THREATENING ME...  OK, no, no... I just wanted to confirm that you were threatening me."

#9 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

I bought a 55" LG LM7600 3D TV back in April and have been quite happy with it, to the point where it has become my primary gaming set. To my eyes, I've not experienced any motion blur or lag issues (though I really only play single player so multiplayer may be a different story). 3D is also really nice on this set; it uses a passive system but I honestly cannot make out any drop in resolution between it and my Samsung active 3D plasma.

The TV also has a motionflow feature that can be turned off. I rarely use it though LG lets you tweak it both vertically and horizontally using a sliding scale so if you want a slightly smoother picture that doesn't go all the way to a soap opera effect this TV might be worth a look.

About the only knock against my set is that it has some noticeable edge bleeding when no input is coming to the TV or the image is very, very dim, although 95% of the time it is not visible and I suspect I could improve it by playing with the brightness, contrast and panel light settings.

Given how much I game, plasma just isn't an option for me either. 3D plasmas in particular seem to be even more susceptible to image retention, especially with games that have even moderately bright HUDS.

#10 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice, guys.  Right now, I'm leaning towards an LED or LCD display.  I just don't like the idea of worrying about burn-in, or having to break in my television.  I also have a bright room, and don't really notice motion blur issues on my current 25" LCD display.  

Anyhow, I have several days off work coming up about a week from now, and I'll most likely make a purchase then.
Posted Image

#11 Shimshuta

Shimshuta

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

If you are leaning to a LCD/LED, look into the LGs. I am really, really happy with mine, and it is last years model. I am sure the new ones look even better.

#12 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostShimshuta, on 29 July 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

If you are leaning to a LCD/LED, look into the LGs.

That's what I ended up doing, thanks to your suggestion, and the suggestions of a few other HDTV Arcade members. Right now, I'm strongly thinking about this model: http://www.lg.com/us...47LS4600-led-tv

I found it locally for $698, which seems to be the best deal I can find on an LG 47" LED.  I can go to 55" for $1,099, but 400 dollars seems like too much of an increase for eight more inches.  That's well over half the price of the 47!  I'm upgrading from a 25 inch PC monitor, so I figure that nearly twice the size will be enough of an upgrade.

Speaking of which, what's the word on using an LED television like that as your PC monitor?  Any good reason to avoid doing so, or should I go for it?
Posted Image

#13 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

Actually Space, if you look at the 47" and 55" side by side you'll see just how much extra real estate you get; it's not just a question of 8 diagonal inches as it comes out to something like a 40% larger set.

As far as using it as a monitor, I haven't done it myself but I suspect the biggest limitation would be that you won't be able to go beyond 1920x1080 resolution.

#14 MrEastSide

MrEastSide

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

I currently have my PC connected to my 60" Sony LED, it looks stunning.  Assuming your computer's video card can output to the TV's native reslution, in your case, 1080p, it should look damn good.  That said, where are you putting this new TV?  In my experience, going with the biggest size that you can afford is always the way to go.  I've bought about 5 or 6 TVs in the last six years or so and a couple of times I went with a smaller size and within a couple months I was kicking myself, wishing I had gone bigger.  It seems you always get used to the size fairly quickly, the best advice I ever heard was get the biggest size you can afford.  That's just been my experience though.  Some people truly might not care as much, I just know I ended up caring.  A side note regarding size, mine is a 60" and I sit probably about 7-8 feet away and I honestly, wouldn't mind having a 70" now.  :O   Here's a picture of mine running the desktop.  Nothing like a wireless mouse and keyboard and sitting on the couch and playing a game or surfing youtube or the forums.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

Bought the 47 inch today, and I'd say it's absolutely large enough for me.  I'm going to have it setup where I'm about four feet away from the screen, so too much larger would probably be too much altogether.  I'm pretty happy with it right now, but I'll have to mess around with it a bit more before I'm able to make a true judgement.

Thanks to everyone who cared enough to reply to this thread. :)
Posted Image

#16 Shimshuta

Shimshuta

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

If you set up your PC on the TV, check the display modes. Mine has one called Just Scan, because TVs and PC monitors are not exactly 1:1 pixel mapped, so it displays like it should. Otherwise around 10% of the screen is cut off at the edges. If your PC has the horsepower like East said, go for it. I played Prototype 2 on it, it was nuts at 1080p 47 inches. Darksiders 2, Sleeping dogs next week, going to be awesome. And thats just the start.

#17 karmaslave

karmaslave

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Four feet away?!! Yeah, that might be big enough. Seriously, congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.. except that it might make start craving more HD content and cause you to spend even more money. That happened to close friend of mine I affectionately call "me."

#18 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Congrats Space, hope you enjoy the TV.

And I must say, all this talk about PC gaming has me really craving a gaming PC for my 3D LCD. This weekend is tax-free in Massachusetts. Hmmm.....

#19 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

View Postkarmaslave, on 07 August 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

Four feet away?!! Yeah, that might be big enough. Seriously, congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.. except that it might make start craving more HD content and cause you to spend even more money. That happened to close friend of mine I affectionately call "me."

I was curious as to the exact distance, so I measured.  I was pretty close to my estimate.  Actual distance is about 4 1/2 feet away.  I might push it back to 5 or 5 1/2 when I start using my new television for my PC monitor, depending on what feels best.  Right now, I'm waiting on an HDMI to DVI adapter.

View PostShimshuta, on 07 August 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

If your PC has the horsepower like East said, go for it. I played Prototype 2 on it, it was nuts at 1080p 47 inches. Darksiders 2, Sleeping dogs next week, going to be awesome. And thats just the start.

View PostTonyDP, on 08 August 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

Congrats Space, hope you enjoy the TV.

And I must say, all this talk about PC gaming has me really craving a gaming PC for my 3D LCD.

To clarify, I don't game on my PC at all.  I just use it for the internet and other normal PC activities.  I'm just really looking forward to having a giant desktop, and easy to see text. :)
Posted Image

#20 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:14 AM

I like to necro old threads!!

I just bought a new house with a much bigger great room,   time for me to upgrade and get a big new tv.  

Unfortunately due to moving and also dealing with a newborn I have not had the time to really research and see what's going in the tv world these days.

I'm looking at getting something from 65 - 75".    It will be mainly for the xbox one plus watching movies  (who am I kidding most likely it will be used for cartoons to keep my 4 year old from driving me insane).  

I'm just wondering if anyone has bought anything as of late?

Nearly all the big screens around the $3000 mark seem to be really nice and that's probably where I will end up going.  I'm not really in the mood to spend the big money like in the olden days (pre kids/ pre wife).    

It seems that each tv has so many gimmicks and play on words that I'm not really sure if any of that makes a difference or not.  

I assume the must haves would be 4k,  HDR  and at least native 120hz.       Does edge lighting or free array led make much of a difference?

Anyone have any recommended brands or ones to avoid?

The best deals that I can get are from Costco (uncle works there and can get me staff discount) and they have these 3 that looked real nice in store.

http://www.costco.ca....100295975.html

http://www.costco.ca....100293183.html

http://www.costco.ca....100299695.html

I'm kind of leery of Sharp since apparently HiSense bought them out last Fall so I'm not sure if the quality is there anymore.   Same goes with Vizio... I was always under the impression that they made cheaper products.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!