Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  colonel_j2020 : (29 March 2017 - 05:54 PM) I know that probably doesnt make sense but its good fun.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (29 March 2017 - 11:05 PM) Did Bro-Force ever get updated on PS4?  That game had some strange frame rate issues when it hit PS Plus a while back.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (30 March 2017 - 07:21 PM) Titanfall 2 free weekend is going on now.
@  ermac666 : (07 April 2017 - 09:21 PM) Digital foundry did the xbox scorpio tech reveal, and it's looking very powerful for a console. Then again, MS exclusives are also coming to PCs, so that makes it a hard sell for those who have a PC.
@  ermac666 : (07 April 2017 - 09:21 PM) A capable PC that is...
@  colonel_j2020 : (10 April 2017 - 05:23 PM) Why are they pushing out scorpio already?  Didn't the S just come out a year ago?
@  TonyDP : (10 April 2017 - 07:28 PM) Aaaaaaaaand the spam is back
@  SpaceInsomniac : (11 April 2017 - 04:57 AM) The S was never meant to be a replacement, only a better entry-level console.  They're not pushing out Scorpio.  If anything, they waited a long while after the PS Pro was released.  None of it will matter if they can't get 3rd party developers to make their games look better than a PS4 pro version, though.
@  ermac666 : (11 April 2017 - 05:42 AM) The thing with MS is that now most of their exclusives are also coming to pc which could somewhat take away the shine of the scorpio if it ends up looking/running better. I am still intrigued about the scorpio and how it would do.
@  kyle_5_16 : (13 April 2017 - 11:12 AM) I absolutely love that MS titles have "play anywhere" now. I mostly play on my PC, but being able to pick up where I left off up in my living room on the Xbox is amazing. I'll probably pick up a Scorpio just so the experience can be as close to my PC as possible. I have bought more MS/Xbox games because of that ability.
@  MrEastSide : (14 April 2017 - 04:23 AM) I'm glad my 3 years old PC and GTX980 Superclocked still demolishes the PS4 Pro and Scorpio. Sony and MS really need to stay in their lanes and realize that doing incremental console revisions like this is going to kill their systems.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:02 PM) There will come a time where they just can't rely on the base consoles anymore due to their weaker performance. I would like to see how devs deal with this as games get more graphically intense and complex.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:03 PM) Ensuring compatability where base consoles don't get shafted is going to be tougher
@  Brandino : (15 April 2017 - 10:42 AM) booo spam bots
@  TonyDP : (19 April 2017 - 09:34 PM) So Bungie said the light level 400 Mythoclast would have a "generous drop rate" from the Vault of Glass in Destiny's Age of Triumph. I've now completed the raid 9 times and, surprise surprise, still no Vex. My raid team has now completed it 54 times (6 players x 3 weeks x 3 runs per week) and it has only dropped 3 times in total. I am sick of their BS. No Destiny 2 for me. Bungie can go fuck themselves.
@  colonel_j2020 : (20 April 2017 - 06:54 PM) I will quite likely play destiny 2 since I never played destiny.  That does sound sucky.  Reminds of my 20% drop rate in WOW raid.  Do raid 20 times = 0 drops :(
@  TonyDP : (20 April 2017 - 09:06 PM) With Bungie it goes beyond the lousy drop rates. We already had all the stuff and perks they're promoting in Age of Triumph and they took it all away for no good reason. Now they rehash it and try to make it look like they're giving us what we always wanted out of the kindness of their hearts.
@  Brandino : (20 April 2017 - 10:14 PM) I gave up on Destiny a year ago,  the game really wasn't worth the grind.  The rewards are so small for doing the same thing over and over and over again.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:54 PM) Destiny 2 already? But, but... I could've sworn Destiny was supposed to be a 10yr experience. Or something silly like that.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:55 PM) Maybe they meant it'll take them 10yrs to figure out the story & how to get drop rates right. :P

- - - - -

Destiny: Halo meets Borderlands

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

New Destiny footage was just released.  If you're in the US, you can get a free beta code for pre-ordering, but the beta doesn't go live until this summer.  Codes are supposed to be limited, which is likely a load of BS to get you to pre-order the game, but it worked on me and I did pre-order.

Meh. If the beta sucks, I can always cancel my pre-order later.

https://www.youtube....h?v=aLMg17XemNE
Posted Image

#2 AKA Superman

AKA Superman

The Almighty One

• 4,749 posts
  • Interests:Games, Movies, anything FUN!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

I thought I remember hearing that the beta was going to be open...guess not. I'll have to preorder this soon as I've planned to pick it up since it was first announced. Aside from Watchdogs, this was my most anticipated next-gen title. Hopefully it won't disappoint.
Posted Image Posted Image

"What you gonna do when the Sugar Plum Chum come for you?" - Tenacious Steve

#3 AKA Superman

AKA Superman

The Almighty One

• 4,749 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

I got my alpha code and I've been playing a bit of it this evening. It definitely seems like a love child of Halo and Borderlands, but I'm not really sure how I feel about it just yet. I plan on playing more extensively over the weekend, but as it stands right now I think I'll end up passing on it.

My biggest gripe so far are the enemy respawns...they're ridiculous which makes exploring a complete chore. Enemies respawn 15 seconds after you kill them, and that goes for ALL enemies, the damn "flood" included. Yes, Bungie thought they should bring the flood over from Halo and they did just that. What's worse about the respawn is that it's not like Borderlands where they respawn after exiting/re-entering an area, they respawn in front of you. You kill an enemy and stand in that exact spot for 15 seconds, another enemy will magically appear in front of your eyes in the exact spot you just killed it. This alone is enough for me to pass on it unless they change the respawn system. I hate games that do this!

The "Tower", a hub of sorts that you go to after each mission, is a bit odd. I guess it's kinda cool in a way, but it has too much of a MMO flair to it. If anyone here has ever played  DC Universe Online, or even Playstation Home on the PS3, then you've experienced what this hub is like. You can dance, salute, and perform other gestures to other online players that are here and, I'm guessing, recruit them for future missions. I haven't really figured out how that works just yet.

My other biggest gripe is just how convoluted the menus are. There has got to be a way for them to streamline and simplify that!

I plan on posting other impressions after the weekend, but if anyone has questions about it, I'll be more than happy to attempt an answer. On a side note, while it does look better than 360/PS3 games, I can't help but feel the graphics are vastly inferior to what was first shown at E3.

#4 HDTVadmin

HDTVadmin

The one and only...

• Administrator
  • 3,368 posts
  • Interests:HDTV Gaming !! Movies, Computers, Fishing.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

I just played for an hour or so myself.  I'm not really into FPS but this game kept me entertained for the most part.  I did come across that 15 second spawn mentioned in the post above.  I had just cleared a room and was reloading and was about to look at my weapons menu when I got jumped by the same enemies I had just defeated.  Seems a little too quick.

So far, I like the mild RPG elements it seems to have so far.  Graphics are nice.  I wish there was an option to play in 3rd person as it is when wandering the tower.

#5 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

I was surprised to get an invite email today so I decided to download it and give it a spin as well. After playing a few solo missions I got an invite from SpaceInsomniac who gave me some pointers on the game.

Playing alone is very hard (at least until you level up) and graphically I thought the game looked ok but not particularly groundbreaking. The actions tied to the directional pad seem pointless and the various areas of the Tower seem a bit too spread out.

On the plus side the game seemed very stable for an alpha build (it never crashed for me) and it was pretty easy to pick up the play mechanics. The weapons were fun to use and your personal land vehicle was also fun to fly around on.

Overall I did have fun. As someone who hardly ever plays multiplayer, I went from not being interested at all to now having this on my radar. I'll be curious to see how it evolves as it gets closer to release.
Posted Image

#6 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:28 AM

Admin generously gave me his spare code. I had to make a secondary US account to access it as it was region restricted. Have to say other than the ultra fast enemy re-spawning, I like virtually everything about it :)

#7 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

View Postd2_s, on 15 June 2014 - 02:28 AM, said:

Have to say other than the ultra fast enemy re-spawning, I like virtually everything about it :)

Are you going to be in the Beta because you pre-ordered?  But yeah, I really enjoy it as well, and I even really like the competitive multiplayer, which was a surprise.  Even after finishing the campaign, I can see myself playing a lot of multiplayer.  For those who didn't get into the Alpha, the competitive multiplayer feels a lot like Halo, with player health somewhere between a Halo game and a Call of Duty game, perhaps closer to a Battlefield style level of health.

This video does a pretty good job of explaining the game, and although I don't really agree about the vehicles, I will say that I agree it does feel a little overpowered that you can capture points while on them, but that's more of a map design issue.  I'll also agree that they feel way overpowered when going up against a player who isn't using a vehicle.  

But then again, the map design is pretty good about allowing you to stay away from vehicle populated areas if you want, and there are super powerful machine gun turrets at each base that can take out vehicles in seconds, but make you a sitting duck for a player with a scout rifle.

Anyhow, it's a lot of fun.
Posted Image

#8 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

Played a little more Destiny today.

First of all, apologies to SpaceInsomniac for never being able to figure out how to accept his friend invite from inside the game.

As to the game itself, I tried a little bit of the Crucible's competitive multiplayer (6 on 6) and like all my other MP experiences I found it too frantic and chaotic for my tastes.

I played a couple of co-op missions (primarily the one where you're supposed to take out the Devil) but found them to be far too long with ridiculously overpowered waves of enemies and practically non-existent ammo reserves to be found. I know this is just a work in progress alpha but the balance got frustrating after a while and I noticed a lot of players were dropping out of the co-op missions during my session after repeated one hit kills (and just about everybody was Level 7). Hopefully Bungie will iron out these types of issues as the alpha and beta roll on. I'll also be curious to see how or if the overall story is integrated into these online co-op missions.

Graphically I was still underwhelmed. After loading up the first solo mission (where you kill the Wizard) I decided to get on my vehicle and just explore the environment for a while. I found the visuals to be quite coarse lacking that polished 1080p look of other shooters on the PS4. As a self-admitted graphics whore, I am also disappointed that all the environments in the alpha consist of your garden variety abandoned, run down, rooms that we've seen a million times. Overall, I'm disappointed with the look and architecture in the alpha.

The more I play the more I see Bungie's unbalanced gameplay habits from their Halo days popping up again, right down to the Flood (now called the Hive instead).

All just my opinions of course.
Posted Image

#9 AKA Superman

AKA Superman

The Almighty One

• 4,749 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

I must say, this game is really growing on me! Yes, the enemy respawns are still annoying, but they appear to only happen during the free-roam sections of the game. I finally played the missions available and they have a Borderlands vibe to them, which is great! Realizing this alpha takes place in just a small area compared to what the final game is supposed to offer, this game should have quite a bit of content and it's fun to replay the missions just as it was in Borderlands.

I haven't yet fully figured out the upgrade/repair system yet and it would seem that I haven't acquired certain items to make those happen. It's a bit confusing, and I still think the menu system is too convoluted, but I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out on my own or the final game will explain it better.

I played the MP that Space mentioned, not even realizing it was included in the alpha, and I'm hooked. I especially like that you use YOUR character with YOUR weapons/equipment that you unlocked through the SP/missions. It seems as this is a first for a game to do that and it really helps you feel committed to that character. It definitely has a Halo vibe to the MP, as Space said, and that's also a welcome feeling!

As Tony said above, I too am underwhelmed by the visuals. Some times they look great, but most of the time they appear lackluster and merely a higher resolution version of a 360/PS3 game.

#10 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

Just to quickly weigh in on what everyone else has been saying

Todd - You joined my party successfully, and I could hear you clicking buttons, lightly coughing, etc.  I guess you might have had your mic volume turned down or something.

Graphics - Yeah, they don't exactly scream current generation, but this is a cross-gen title, so it's not too surprising.  Once we're beyond the somewhat drab alpha area, I expect the game to get a bit more colorful though.

The strike mission with the devil walker - You pretty much NEED to be at the alpha level cap, and have some good gear, and the other players need to be in the same situation.  The game itself tells you if your armor, primary weapon, secondary weapon and heavy weapon should be up for the task, and everyone needs to pay attention to those stats.  Of course, better stats will mean an easier time with the mission.  Took me about 30 minutes to complete the full thing, and I think I'd be much better about it now.

Frantic multiplayer - The earth map is far more frantic, and isn't a very good first impression.  The moon map is way better for learning the game, IMO.  It's a fast game, but nowhere near something like Unreal Tournament or Quake used to be.

Multiplayer character - While you do get to use your character and weapons from the main game in multiplayer, the developers have said that your gear is balanced once you enter multiplayer to not give you a massive advantage.  I think you do keep all your character skill upgrades, but most of those are grenades and super abilities that are on a timer, so they don't make the game too unbalanced either.

Upgrade system - The more you use an ability, the more the green circle around the next upgrade goes up.  Once you've filled the circle, you can upgrade the ability.  Some weapons can also be upgraded and work in pretty much the same way.   Not sure what you mean by a repair system, though.  I never saw anything in the game that needed repair.
Posted Image

#11 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Todd? :) (Where has he gone I wonder)

I did get a message that I had successfully joined your party, but I didn't know what to do next to actually jump into your game. Like I said, not too much experience when it comes to MP parties and activities.

I think the alpha ends tonight (could be wrong though) so I'll be curious to see how the game evolves by the time the beta rolls around.
Posted Image

#12 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostTonyDP, on 15 June 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

Todd? :) (Where has he gone I wonder)

Ugh.  Sorry about that Tony.  We used to have another forum member named Todd who often spoke of never playing multiplayer either, so I think I got my wires crossed there.

Posted Image

#13 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:47 AM

I actually thought the visuals were fine, but I guess my expectations are in check with what to expect from 1st gen games. These consoles are hardly the same level of cutting edge tech that the 360/PS3 were for their times. Only shame about the visuals for me is that it's locked to 30fps, this game really needs 60 fps.  Other than that I felt the textures, lighting, modelling etc were more than adequate for the first game in the series considering all this game is doing.

In summary I'd describe this game as the love child of Borderlands, Halo and Defiance.  More so Defiance than Borderlands imho. In fact it virtually plays/feels like Defiance in 1st person and am unsure if that is largely coincidence or not.

#14 AKA Superman

AKA Superman

The Almighty One

• 4,749 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm not at home to check at the moment, but

View PostSpaceInsomniac, on 15 June 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

Upgrade system - The more you use an ability, the more the green circle around the next upgrade goes up.  Once you've filled the circle, you can upgrade the ability.  Some weapons can also be upgraded and work in pretty much the same way.   Not sure what you mean by a repair system, though.  I never saw anything in the game that needed repair.

I'm not at home to check at the moment, but I remember getting weapon parts (or something or the sort) from dismantling a weapon and, when looking at it through the inventory menu, it said it was used for weapon/armor repair. Perhaps they don't have that implemented in the Alpha? I'm thinking a system like what was seen in Fallout and Oblivion may be implemented into the final game. Some will likely hate it, but I think it would be a welcome addition for such a seemingly large game.

Also, the upgrade system I was referring to aside from the skill upgrades, was the Crucible/Vanguard upgrades and special perks. I noticed that some upgrades required you to have certain skills available and I haven't figured out how to unlock or achieve those skills.

#15 AKA Superman

AKA Superman

The Almighty One

• 4,749 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Bungie has extended the alpha, but they haven't said for just how long they've extended it.

It ended about 4 hours ago.

#16 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

Some highlights from my time with the competitive multiplayer:

Posted Image

#17 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

And here's some gameplay meant to be edited into video previews and such.  It's nice to actually be hyped about the game now. :)

[edit] Nevermind, they deleted it.
Posted Image

#18 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

@Space to answer your previous question,  I can only assume I will have beta access having preordered and paid for the game in full long ago. This time I can at least play on my main account.

That being said I am not overly excited about beta/alpha access to games where my progress will be lost anyway so i will only ever put minimal time into those and treat them as a kind of demo to give me a chance to change my mind about the purchase. I'd rather invest the time in the real thing.

#19 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

It's been darn fun playing the Destiny Beta.  It'll be down for the next 48 hours or so, and will then relaunch on both Sony and MS consoles, eventually coming to an official end on the 27th.
Posted Image

#20 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

Destiny holds up pretty well on last gen consoles.  Digital foundry's frame rate test shows the ps3 version doing well. You can see the differences in the way the trees animate, which the ps4 version does really well. Their site mentioned that ps3 is sub-HD though, but still looks not too shabby. Bungie optimized that version quite well. PS4 version is still the one to own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!