Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  d2_s : (03 November 2017 - 03:42 AM) Must say that Skyrim VR looks awesome.  It has come a long way and i’ll have to pick iy up.
@  TonyDP : (05 November 2017 - 08:31 PM) Yeah the recent Skyrim VR videos have me stoked. Obviously the resolution inside the headset will be lower but the immersion should more than make up for it. Videos to Doom VFR looked sick as well.
@  kyle_5_16 : (07 November 2017 - 03:06 PM) Alright, who got the Xbox One X?
@  TonyDP : (07 November 2017 - 10:30 PM) As an Xbox One S owner, right now I see no compelling reason to get an Xbox One X. I don't have a 4K TV and I don't have any desire to replay a bunch of games I've already beaten just for the sake of some prettier graphics. If MS ever releases a VR headset or does something innovative beyond just pushing more pixels in existing games then I'll take a look. If my "S" kicks the bucket, I'll take a look. But right now I really don't need one.
@  TonyDP : (08 November 2017 - 02:56 PM) Annnnnnnnnd ... I bought one. Dear God, I wish I had some self control.
@  ermac666 : (10 November 2017 - 08:14 PM) I won't be getting one anytime soon. It's exclusives are also on PCs and the multiplats from what I have seen from comparisons are not that much better than on the pro in terms of frame rate aside from holding a higher resolutions.
@  ermac666 : (10 November 2017 - 08:23 PM) I will get one once the games fully take advantage of it ,a nd the gulf between it and the pro becomes bigger. Right now, I don't see any reason to get the One X for me.
@  TonyDP : (11 November 2017 - 03:59 PM) I don't do PC gaming so it's easier for me to justify having the best MS and Sony consoles I can get. FWIW, even with a 1080p TV I can still easily see improvements in games. Tomb Raider now has 60fps all the time; Forza Horizon 3 has nice reflections in the cars that didn't show up on my Xbox One S, etc. Once I get a 4K TV I'm sure the visual upgrades will be even more pronounced.
@  kyle_5_16 : (13 November 2017 - 12:28 AM) lol @TonyDP your first two responses are hilarious read back to back. Didn't take you long at all to come around to it
@  TonyDP : (13 November 2017 - 05:09 PM) Like I said, I have no willpower. Still, the X1X is nice; I was playing some Hitman on it yesterday and the graphical effects were in a completely new league.
@  d2_s : (14 November 2017 - 04:47 AM) I have no regrets getting the X, it’s a fantastic system. Light on exclusives for sure, but a nice replacement for the S and was pleasantly surprised to see some 360 games getting a Faux-K makeover. Fallout 3 and Mirrors Edge look like new games running on the S.
@  d2_s : (14 November 2017 - 04:48 AM) Running on the X I meant :)
@  TonyDP : (14 November 2017 - 05:08 PM) Fallout 3 looks and runs really nicely on the X1X
@  Brandino : (21 November 2017 - 01:11 AM) I been playing a lot of Ghost Recon Wildlands lately... that game has a lot of content and is quite fun to play multiplayer with the right people.   It's very satisfying to clear out an area undetected and synching shots.
@  ermac666 : (25 November 2017 - 11:55 PM) assassins creed origins has a good atmosphere.Felt more engaged with the egyptian environments than the previous 2 games's city style environments.
@  TonyDP : (27 November 2017 - 07:14 PM) Been playing Assassin's Creed Origin on my XB1X; definitely the best AC game since Brotherhood. Although I hate snakes so the tombs are particularly sketchy for me.
@  TonyDP : (01 December 2017 - 05:45 PM) Doom VFR with an DS4 is pretty much the ultimate VR FPS experience. It gives you full locomotion with the analog sticks, dash with the D-Pad and teleport all at the same time, allowing you to chain some pretty sick moves and kills.
@  d2_s : (09 December 2017 - 04:28 AM) Agree about Origins, one of Ubisofts best releases in a while IMO.
@  d2_s : (09 December 2017 - 04:29 AM) I really need to try Doom VFR. It’s on my list along with Skyrim to try next.
@  d2_s : (09 December 2017 - 04:39 AM) @B Glad you’re enjoying Wildlands. Found it hard to enjoy personally. That map size though :O Looks really nice on the X1X

- - - - -

More powerful Xbox One planned for 2017

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,491 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

http://www.eurogamer...for-2017-report

Like we didn't know this was happening. It's not like Sony were working on Neo in a vacuum.

#2 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,079 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

So if the rumors are to be believed, the PS4.5 will be out long before the holidays, while the Xbox One and a half won't be out until next year, but it'll be more powerful.

It's crazy to see this all happening again so soon, when the last generation took forever to end.  The really stupid thing is, if the new Xbox is really going to be that much more powerful, I might be actually tempted to stick with my original PS4 and get the new Xbox so I could have both.

Two problems with that idea, though.  

1) Sony and Microsoft each running competing paid online services means that simply buying the console isn't the only investment required.

2) I still haven't forgiven Microsoft for their planned DRM BS, and shoving Kinect down everyone's throats, even though they never made any games for Kinect that made it seem even even slightly worth owning.
Posted Image

#3 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

I will be shocked if these hypothetical consoles won't be backwardly compatible with the current XB1/PS4. As long as that's the case, I'll have no qualms trading my current consoles in and getting their new replacements when they're released; I'm sure the cost I'll end up incurring for both will still be less than a high end PC.

As for MS, I think they've long since learned their lesson from their botched XB1 reveal; it will be a long long time before we see another Kinect or ultra-restrictive DRM strategy from them; they're woefully behind in terms of sales this generation and they simply cannot afford those types of antics anymore from a business standpoint. Even their Hololens augmented reality headset has quietly faded away.

#4 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:18 PM

New scorpio xbox seems to be a bigger jump. It's almost like a new gen console than sony's incremental upgrade. Heard that it has 6 teraflops of power compared to the neo's 4 teraflops. Sony is making sure that the experience on the original ps4 is not compromised. I wonder what MS is going to do with their original XO.

#5 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,491 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:36 AM

I am certain that the Scorpio will be uncompromised in terms of back compatibility. That is pretty much the whole point of the move to windows 10 on xb1 a hardware independant platform etc etc etc Bravo if the hardware is that much of a bump.

#6 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostSpaceInsomniac, on 27 May 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

So if the rumors are to be believed, the PS4.5 will be out long before the holidays, while the Xbox One and a half won't be out until next year, but it'll be more powerful.

It's crazy to see this all happening again so soon, when the last generation took forever to end.  The really stupid thing is, if the new Xbox is really going to be that much more powerful, I might be actually tempted to stick with my original PS4 and get the new Xbox so I could have both.

Two problems with that idea, though.  

1) Sony and Microsoft each running competing paid online services means that simply buying the console isn't the only investment required.

2) I still haven't forgiven Microsoft for their planned DRM BS, and shoving Kinect down everyone's throats, even though they never made any games for Kinect that made it seem even even slightly worth owning.
While d2 has a good point with MS probably learning their lesson with the XB1, MS had to go and piss on its customers again with the immense spyware in Windows 10.

On top of that, somehow it just worked out that the newer PC cpu's won't be "compatible" with Windows updates unless they're running Windows 10. So the message I'm hearing from MS is "Let us spy on you with Windows 10 or we don't want anything to do with you." So my next upgrade will be a gaming PC with a non-cutting edge cpu, Win7, and I'll be able to use my 360 controller instead of the more chintsy/cheap feeling X1 controller.  Plus, it'll have a myriad of other uses. Modern consoles have all the limitations of consoles and most of the headaches of PC's anyway. (To me, the benefit of the simplicity just isn't worth the cost of installs and patches and supporting MS more than I have to. I respect Sony, but just don't like their controller at all, & they still have installs & massive patches.)

Yes, you can supposedly turn off the spyware, but Cortana still sends data back to MS servers even after she's turned "off". Last I read, (a while ago,) hackers had discovered she still sends data, and it goes to MS servers, but they weren't able to tell what that data was exactly.
Failure is not important. How you overcome it is.

"Any day you don't die is a good day."
Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

#7 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

Man. When did I get so negative? I feel like such a drag around here. It seems there's so much wrong with games and game companies these days. For every really cool thing, like Destiny or Halo MCC, there's some major negative to drain the fun out. (Online required and no story, or only half the game in the box & buggy multiplayer.) I wish I could be more optimistic. I am really looking forward to a new gaming pc, but that'll likely be at the end of the year.

As negative as I tend to be, it was nice to see rational heads here on this topic of upgraded consoles. Every other place I see this discussion online, everyone's complaining about how it will split the user base. Even pc gamers who know of the long existence of in-game settings to accommodate different hardware specs seem to forget about that & bemoan "how will this ever work???" I'm sure the newer versions will be 100% compatible with the originals. Heck, it'd even be awesome if they could also include manual settings for "60fps or 30fps & looking prettier" to give console gamers more choice.

Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

#8 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:58 AM

Speaking of installs, it's the xbox one that seem to have longer installs than the ps4 this gen. Patches seem about equal. PS4's controller is actually pretty damn good. They really stepped it up in that area because the ps3 controller wasn't too good. I was initially not too keen on the upgraded consoles, but have grown to accept it. Now I am excited to see how it pans out.

#9 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

View Postermac666, on 30 May 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

Speaking of installs, it's the xbox one that seem to have longer installs than the ps4 this gen. Patches seem about equal. PS4's controller is actually pretty damn good. They really stepped it up in that area because the ps3 controller wasn't too good. I was initially not too keen on the upgraded consoles, but have grown to accept it. Now I am excited to see how it pans out.

It is amazing to me how much faster disc based installs are on the PS4 relative to the Xbox 1. A 30GB PS4 game will install in a matter of seconds on my console; that same size game will take over an hour on the Xbox One. MS must have used some really mediocre drives in their consoles.

The PS4 controller is definitely better but I still prefer the offset stick layout and when playing for extended sessions. I find that after an hour of playing something like Doom 4 on my PS4, my thumbs start to hurt because of their position; the Xbox One's stick layout feels more natural to me and I can play for hours without discomfort. There is a device that allows for cross platform controller use. I've never used it but I've read posts from people on Reddit that swear by it:

http://www.amazon.co...words=cronusmax

#10 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,176 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

My hope is that MS really goes all in with their Windows 10/UWP. I'm hoping that my PC can be the "upgraded Xbox" that they are talking about here. Release all your games to the Xbox Store as well and I'll buy them. The only game I've bought for my Xbox One I think is Halo MCC and I've barely played it.

I'd be surprised at that 6 teraflops number, that puts it into GTX 1070 territory, which I suppose a year and a half from now could be possible. Seems like it would have to be kind of expensive though.

#11 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,491 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:56 AM

Though you and I both know it wont really be in the same league as say an i7 coupled with a 1070, it is still fairly impressive for a console. I wonder what price-point they'll be shooting for? Seeing as they have the slim, they certainly can give it a "premium" price.

#12 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

Now that it is official that scorpio will be 6TF, I wonder if sony is going to tweak their neo to match it, or just release it at the rumored 4.4TF.

#13 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,176 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:31 AM

I did see something about a Sony person "laughing" at the rumored Neo specs. Who knows what it will end up at for sure, just have to wait for specs I guess.

#14 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,491 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:57 AM

View Postkyle_5_16, on 28 June 2016 - 12:31 AM, said:

I did see something about a Sony person "laughing" at the rumored Neo specs. Who knows what it will end up at for sure, just have to wait for specs I guess.

Interesting. It would seem odd that Sony would just let MS beat their specs by such a wide margin. Be interesting to see what both machines end up being :)

#15 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:52 AM

View Postd2_s, on 28 June 2016 - 02:57 AM, said:

View Postkyle_5_16, on 28 June 2016 - 12:31 AM, said:

Interesting. It would seem odd that Sony would just let MS beat their specs by such a wide margin. Be interesting to see what both machines end up being :)
Maybe he's laughing because Sony "leaked" some misinformation to throw MS off, and hearing that misinformation being treated as fact makes him smile that the plan is working so well. It would make sense that they keep their mouths shut about the real specs until Scorpio is too close to being shipped for MS to do diddley-squat when they hear "the real" PS4.5 specs and are caught off guard.

IF that's actually the case: Well played, Sony. Well played. :slow clap:

#16 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

This got me thinking about the early specs leak of the original ps4 and XO. PS4 "Orbis" was rumored to have 4 GB of GDDR5 RAM while XO "Durango" was 8 GB of DDR3 RAM. When sony unveiled the ps4 at their event, and it ended up having 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM, everyone lost their minds, lol. You guys may be right...

#17 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:39 PM

I think people get too hung up on hardware specs. I don't necessarily need the most powerful PC or console, just one that is powerful enough to give me a satisfactory experience. Sony may have something more powerful waiting in the wings; that kind of one-upmanship  is inevitable. But as long as the MS console is powerful enough to deliver a compelling audio visual experience that's all I could ask for.

It will also be interesting to see how Nintendo responds (if they are even capable of it) to this escalating hardware war.

#18 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,491 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

I think it's safe to say that the Scorpio will more than be able to deliver a satisfactory experience. Even the humble bone was able to genuinely impress me at times with titles like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I'd say even if the Neo stuck around the 4TF mark it would still be a marked improvement over what we have now :)

#19 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:25 AM

It seems the price of the normal Xbox ones have dropped at least $20. As low as $280 now, $300 for the 1TB version. Both come with a game.

#20 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,491 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:23 AM

I decided to drop the cash for an xbox one x. I figured if I'm going go have an xbox one, I may as well have the flagship machine.
It will go nicely with my Switch - the other console I said I'd never buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!