Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  colonel_j2020 : (29 March 2017 - 05:54 PM) I know that probably doesnt make sense but its good fun.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (29 March 2017 - 11:05 PM) Did Bro-Force ever get updated on PS4?  That game had some strange frame rate issues when it hit PS Plus a while back.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (30 March 2017 - 07:21 PM) Titanfall 2 free weekend is going on now.
@  ermac666 : (07 April 2017 - 09:21 PM) Digital foundry did the xbox scorpio tech reveal, and it's looking very powerful for a console. Then again, MS exclusives are also coming to PCs, so that makes it a hard sell for those who have a PC.
@  ermac666 : (07 April 2017 - 09:21 PM) A capable PC that is...
@  colonel_j2020 : (10 April 2017 - 05:23 PM) Why are they pushing out scorpio already?  Didn't the S just come out a year ago?
@  TonyDP : (10 April 2017 - 07:28 PM) Aaaaaaaaand the spam is back
@  SpaceInsomniac : (11 April 2017 - 04:57 AM) The S was never meant to be a replacement, only a better entry-level console.  They're not pushing out Scorpio.  If anything, they waited a long while after the PS Pro was released.  None of it will matter if they can't get 3rd party developers to make their games look better than a PS4 pro version, though.
@  ermac666 : (11 April 2017 - 05:42 AM) The thing with MS is that now most of their exclusives are also coming to pc which could somewhat take away the shine of the scorpio if it ends up looking/running better. I am still intrigued about the scorpio and how it would do.
@  kyle_5_16 : (13 April 2017 - 11:12 AM) I absolutely love that MS titles have "play anywhere" now. I mostly play on my PC, but being able to pick up where I left off up in my living room on the Xbox is amazing. I'll probably pick up a Scorpio just so the experience can be as close to my PC as possible. I have bought more MS/Xbox games because of that ability.
@  MrEastSide : (14 April 2017 - 04:23 AM) I'm glad my 3 years old PC and GTX980 Superclocked still demolishes the PS4 Pro and Scorpio. Sony and MS really need to stay in their lanes and realize that doing incremental console revisions like this is going to kill their systems.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:02 PM) There will come a time where they just can't rely on the base consoles anymore due to their weaker performance. I would like to see how devs deal with this as games get more graphically intense and complex.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:03 PM) Ensuring compatability where base consoles don't get shafted is going to be tougher
@  Brandino : (15 April 2017 - 10:42 AM) booo spam bots
@  TonyDP : (19 April 2017 - 09:34 PM) So Bungie said the light level 400 Mythoclast would have a "generous drop rate" from the Vault of Glass in Destiny's Age of Triumph. I've now completed the raid 9 times and, surprise surprise, still no Vex. My raid team has now completed it 54 times (6 players x 3 weeks x 3 runs per week) and it has only dropped 3 times in total. I am sick of their BS. No Destiny 2 for me. Bungie can go fuck themselves.
@  colonel_j2020 : (20 April 2017 - 06:54 PM) I will quite likely play destiny 2 since I never played destiny.  That does sound sucky.  Reminds of my 20% drop rate in WOW raid.  Do raid 20 times = 0 drops :(
@  TonyDP : (20 April 2017 - 09:06 PM) With Bungie it goes beyond the lousy drop rates. We already had all the stuff and perks they're promoting in Age of Triumph and they took it all away for no good reason. Now they rehash it and try to make it look like they're giving us what we always wanted out of the kindness of their hearts.
@  Brandino : (20 April 2017 - 10:14 PM) I gave up on Destiny a year ago,  the game really wasn't worth the grind.  The rewards are so small for doing the same thing over and over and over again.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:54 PM) Destiny 2 already? But, but... I could've sworn Destiny was supposed to be a 10yr experience. Or something silly like that.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:55 PM) Maybe they meant it'll take them 10yrs to figure out the story & how to get drop rates right. :P

- - - - -

More PS4 Neo details

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:09 AM

We have seen some past leaks on the 4.4 TF of power and other details. Apparently, more details have been leaked on the resolution strategies.

Link:
http://wccftech.com/... (WCCFtech.com)

#2 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

From the article:

... the PlayStation 4 Neo will have a Jaguar CPU with 8 cores running at 2.1 GHz. The GPU will feature 36 Compute Units running at 911 MHz for a 2.3X improvement in Teraflops, while the memory will still be 8GB GDDR5 though the bandwidth will be higher at 218 GB/s.
And the Atari Jaguar lives on in another form, (not just as dental hardware anymore). Atari never dies! I knew the Jag was underrated.
8)  :P
Sorry, I couldn't think of a Neo Geo joke.
Failure is not important. How you overcome it is.

"Any day you don't die is a good day."
Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

#3 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

One thing I really hope is that with the new hardware they focus less on resolution and more on performance. I'd much rather see 1080p/1440p games (upscaled to 4K) runnng at 60fps than the garbage frame rates console games have been getting in general this generation.

I know it wont work out that way, we'll just get the same crappy running software in higher res.

#4 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

I don't mind 1080p at a solid 60 fps. For the hardware that they are bringing, it should be fine if devs optimize their games. This is something the original ps4 should have been - 1080p, 60 fps on graphically demanding games with no issues....
If they wanted a higher res, they should have waited a while to release a more powerful console like MS is going to do with the scorpio next year.

#5 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

My main concern is devs prioritising resolution along with bells and whistles over frame rates. Neo and Scorpio should be capable of doing really nice games at around 1440p with solid frame rates. I'm just not confident that will happen - old habits die hard.

#6 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:09 PM

d2, I agree, though would be awesome if devs saw players like having choices in their video quality & just expanded on that & expanded the video options for players to choose like pc's do. Or maybe, just maybe, they would lazily port from a PC & leave those video sliders in the menu now that there will be multiple levels of consoles. :cool:

Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

#7 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,174 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

View Postd2_s, on 25 July 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

My main concern is devs prioritising resolution along with bells and whistles over frame rates. Neo and Scorpio should be capable of doing really nice games at around 1440p with solid frame rates. I'm just not confident that will happen - old habits die hard.

Screenshots sell a lot of games and you can't tell how shitty the framerate is in a screenshot.Having become very used to a 144hz 1440p monitor I can't really stand to play consoles at all anymore, the framerates this generation are way too "cinematic" for me.

#8 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

Digital foundry built a PC using ps4 neo-type specs, and you can see the frame rate breakdown as you read the article. It could comfortably run games at 1080p and exceed 60 fps, and it does ok in 1440p as well. However, in 4k it runs between 20-30 fps.
Link:
http://www.eurogamer...on-neo-gpu-tech

#9 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

The official name is PS4 Pro.

Link to the console and it's specs. I do think that they could have used a better design.
http://www.gamespot....d/1100-6443352/

I noticed that the wifi has been improved to AC standards. About time I guess.. It has HDR support, and it will be patched in to all ps4 models. Existing games like uncharted 4 will be patched to take advantage of the pro version as well as upcoming games like COD infinite warfare and horizon. 1 TB capacity for the hard drive.

#10 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

Pretty disappointed by the PS4 Pro reveal as it looked to me like the focus was on 4K/HDR rather than performance. I'd rather see a game running at 1080p/60fps than 4k/30fps but something tells me the latter is what games running on the Pro will be shooting for. I was at least hoping that the Pro would improve PSVR performance but even that wasn't really explored in the presentation. It all seems like a ploy for Sony to sell more 4K TV's, not improve the gaming experience. I also read that the Pro won't even play 4K blu-rays. That is pretty pathetic if true.

Really nothing here to make me want to upgrade yet, especially as I don't have a 4K TV.
Posted Image

#11 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

To be honest, the lack of a 4k blu-ray player is a non-issue since most people nowdays use streaming sites like netflix and other sites to view movies online, and you can get 4k content as well. Also, inclusion of new movie players don't really have much impact on sales like it used to, and sony don't really have much to gain from it unlike in 2006 where there were competing formats like the HD-DVD, and the xbox 360 had a lead in sales, or back in 2000 where dvds were a big deal and helped shift units. Perhaps the exclusion of 4k blu-ray player, taking into account all of the newer tech they packed in there, could keep the cost at $399.

They are giving developers flexibility on the resolution. They are fine with devs prioritizing 1080p at a higher frame rate. The upcoming tomb raider game supports 3 modes.
https://www.vg247.co...ons-on-ps4-pro/

#12 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:38 AM

The PS4 Pro presentation certainly was lacklustre. I really wasn't expecting the Pro out this year and I'm wondering if Sony has bitten off more than it can chew launching two new platforms this holiday season?

I guess the hardware deals were done with AMD already and time is of the essence in getting the system out for the holidays to compliment PSVR, not to mention getting a headstart on MS who should have the premium end of the market catered for next holiday season.

Omitting UHD Blu Ray was likely to keep costs down so they can market it as a more accessible option to 4k and VR gaming and maintain a decent price advantage in the long run. It's a big feature to leave out though and I'm wondering if in the long term they would have been better off taking the hit and including it, as it's a major feature the so-called tech enthusiasts they are wanting to appeal to will want?

Looks like they've chosen to position the PS4 family as a gaming platform first and foremost and looks like they'll be maintaining their price advantage, but this time by sacrificing it's status of being the premium home console - in 12 months time anyway. They have the budget end of the market tied up with PS4 slim, which is a more capable and cheaper option than the X1S and they'll have the cheaper 4KVR system.

In terms of value for money, it will arguably be the best value console money can buy for some time. Over here it's only $10 more than an Xbox One S and features a GPU comparable to an nvidia 970gtx, which is a considerable leap over the standard PS4 & XB1.

Interesting times head that's for sure. I look forward to hearing more about what this will do for VR seeing as they did say this is one of the major reasons PS4 Pro exists next to HDR/4K

#13 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:48 PM

I wonder if they could make an add-on 4K player for those who really want it. Designing it would be a snap. Just make it look like a 4th layer to be put on top. Bonus would be it no longer looks like a Big Mac. That would also explain why they went with such a goofy design for the PS4 Pro. I just wonder if USB 3.0 can handle that kind of bandwidth.

I also wonder if something could be made to be set on the PS4 to make it look like one of those pyramid ships in Stargate. That would look cool. Albeit not practical for most people's entertainment shelves.

#14 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:50 PM

Even if they could make a UHD add-on I doubt it would sell that well or be worth the effort for them - I'm personally over add-ons and clutter, but that's me. I'm sure PS4 Pro 2, PS5 or whatever is coming next will include one. Perhaps they'll do a special edition pro or something with a UHD drive in the future? Not sure how feasible it will be for them though - guess it will depend on demand and how cheap they can do them for that production run. Apparently it costs MS $15 per unit to include a UHD drive in the xbone S.

#15 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

View Postd2_s, on 15 September 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Even if they could make a UHD add-on I doubt it would sell that well or be worth the effort for them - I'm personally over add-ons and clutter, but that's me. I'm sure PS4 Pro 2, PS5 or whatever is coming next will include one. Perhaps they'll do a special edition pro or something with a UHD drive in the future? Not sure how feasible it will be for them though - guess it will depend on demand and how cheap they can do them for that production run. Apparently it costs MS $15 per unit to include a UHD drive in the xbone S.

Same here; add-ons like this just end up being clunky, clumsy, space-stealers that add to the cable clutter and always end up having some technical limitation (Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on comes to mind).

My main interest in the PS4 Pro right now is if it will improve performance of PSVR in any way. I pre-ordered the VR peripheral so I should be getting it on release day. If the PS4 Pro can improve performance or bump up the resolution then I'll upgrade as something tells me that supply won't be much of a problem even right out of the gate.
Posted Image

#16 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:52 PM

View PostTonyDP, on 18 September 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

Same here; add-ons like this just end up being clunky, clumsy, space-stealers that add to the cable clutter and always end up having some technical limitation (Xbox 360 HD-DVD add on comes to mind).

My main interest in the PS4 Pro right now is if it will improve performance of PSVR in any way. I pre-ordered the VR peripheral so I should be getting it on release day. If the PS4 Pro can improve performance or bump up the resolution then I'll upgrade as something tells me that supply won't be much of a problem even right out of the gate.

I'm hoping Sony can go into more detail about what PS4Pro does for VR soon. I'm getting the pro anyway as I'll be going with one of Sony's flagship 2016 SUHD displays soon. They are very reasonably priced, have excellent processing and are a nice introduction to 4K HDR based on what I've seen/read so far - they also suppport 3D, which some displays haven't even bothered with this year. Once things stabalise a bit I may get something fancier at a later date, but that will do for me seeing as it will only be a casual gaming display and I am not as bothered about tech and owning every gadget under the sun as I once was...old age etc.

#17 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

I'm personally over add-ons and clutter, but that's me.
I totally agree that add-ons are normally clutter. (I don't think any were ever worse than the sideways, mini-360, book-shaped HD-DVD drive.) That's why I suggested the odd shape of the PS4 Pro might be to encourage people to buy the add-on that, when put on top of it, looks like it's part of the console and evens out the design to make the console look better than being on its own.

#18 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:09 PM

http://www.eurogamer...n-more-smoothly

Check out the link above. Sony is actually enabling boost mode for ps4 pro. Older games that don't support ps4 pro enhancements can run at a higher frame rate. About time!

#19 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:26 AM

The next update is also going to enable proper external hard drive support! About bloody time!

#20 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

View Postd2_s, on 06 February 2017 - 04:26 AM, said:

The next update is also going to enable proper external hard drive support! About bloody time!

Between this, improved PSVR cinema mode and enabling BluRay 3D support with PSVR, Sony is really upping its game. Can hardly wait for the 4.50 firmware.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!