Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  colonel_j2020 : (29 March 2017 - 05:54 PM) I know that probably doesnt make sense but its good fun.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (29 March 2017 - 11:05 PM) Did Bro-Force ever get updated on PS4?  That game had some strange frame rate issues when it hit PS Plus a while back.
@  SpaceInsomniac : (30 March 2017 - 07:21 PM) Titanfall 2 free weekend is going on now.
@  ermac666 : (07 April 2017 - 09:21 PM) Digital foundry did the xbox scorpio tech reveal, and it's looking very powerful for a console. Then again, MS exclusives are also coming to PCs, so that makes it a hard sell for those who have a PC.
@  ermac666 : (07 April 2017 - 09:21 PM) A capable PC that is...
@  colonel_j2020 : (10 April 2017 - 05:23 PM) Why are they pushing out scorpio already?  Didn't the S just come out a year ago?
@  TonyDP : (10 April 2017 - 07:28 PM) Aaaaaaaaand the spam is back
@  SpaceInsomniac : (11 April 2017 - 04:57 AM) The S was never meant to be a replacement, only a better entry-level console.  They're not pushing out Scorpio.  If anything, they waited a long while after the PS Pro was released.  None of it will matter if they can't get 3rd party developers to make their games look better than a PS4 pro version, though.
@  ermac666 : (11 April 2017 - 05:42 AM) The thing with MS is that now most of their exclusives are also coming to pc which could somewhat take away the shine of the scorpio if it ends up looking/running better. I am still intrigued about the scorpio and how it would do.
@  kyle_5_16 : (13 April 2017 - 11:12 AM) I absolutely love that MS titles have "play anywhere" now. I mostly play on my PC, but being able to pick up where I left off up in my living room on the Xbox is amazing. I'll probably pick up a Scorpio just so the experience can be as close to my PC as possible. I have bought more MS/Xbox games because of that ability.
@  MrEastSide : (14 April 2017 - 04:23 AM) I'm glad my 3 years old PC and GTX980 Superclocked still demolishes the PS4 Pro and Scorpio. Sony and MS really need to stay in their lanes and realize that doing incremental console revisions like this is going to kill their systems.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:02 PM) There will come a time where they just can't rely on the base consoles anymore due to their weaker performance. I would like to see how devs deal with this as games get more graphically intense and complex.
@  ermac666 : (14 April 2017 - 09:03 PM) Ensuring compatability where base consoles don't get shafted is going to be tougher
@  Brandino : (15 April 2017 - 10:42 AM) booo spam bots
@  TonyDP : (19 April 2017 - 09:34 PM) So Bungie said the light level 400 Mythoclast would have a "generous drop rate" from the Vault of Glass in Destiny's Age of Triumph. I've now completed the raid 9 times and, surprise surprise, still no Vex. My raid team has now completed it 54 times (6 players x 3 weeks x 3 runs per week) and it has only dropped 3 times in total. I am sick of their BS. No Destiny 2 for me. Bungie can go fuck themselves.
@  colonel_j2020 : (20 April 2017 - 06:54 PM) I will quite likely play destiny 2 since I never played destiny.  That does sound sucky.  Reminds of my 20% drop rate in WOW raid.  Do raid 20 times = 0 drops :(
@  TonyDP : (20 April 2017 - 09:06 PM) With Bungie it goes beyond the lousy drop rates. We already had all the stuff and perks they're promoting in Age of Triumph and they took it all away for no good reason. Now they rehash it and try to make it look like they're giving us what we always wanted out of the kindness of their hearts.
@  Brandino : (20 April 2017 - 10:14 PM) I gave up on Destiny a year ago,  the game really wasn't worth the grind.  The rewards are so small for doing the same thing over and over and over again.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:54 PM) Destiny 2 already? But, but... I could've sworn Destiny was supposed to be a 10yr experience. Or something silly like that.
@  Goldenheart : (20 April 2017 - 11:55 PM) Maybe they meant it'll take them 10yrs to figure out the story & how to get drop rates right. :P

- - - - -

Playstation VR Eurogamer Review

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:28 AM

http://www.eurogamer...ation-vr-review

A few quirks and annoyances, but that's to be expected with early adoption. Looking pretty solid overall.

Still have mine pre-ordered I may try it and sell it on if the resale prices are decent. If it takes, then i'll pick it up again at a later date and hope they can iron quirks like not including hdmi 2.

#2 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:09 AM

Will it work better with the ps4 pro? Will that processor component be needed? Not too much was said about it, and sony was kind of quiet about it as well.

#3 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

I cancelled my pre-order. The reviews have been decent but there really isn't any compelling software, there seem to be some fundamental performance issues and quite honestly I don't feel like dealing with the jungle of wires this thing will create right now as I just hung my TV on the wall and got rid of my PS3 and 360, thereby clearing out a ton of clutter and wires.

I'm going to wait until the PS4 Pro comes out and see if that improves performance. I also want a better sense of the quality and support of the software before making a decision.
Posted Image

#4 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:37 AM

The lineup looks very solid for the launch of a new platform and I'd argue more interesing than what was available at the launch of x1/ps4. A far as compelling software goes, I'd say that's subjective. To me Driveclub VR, Rigs, Batman, Eve, Rez and Super Stardust are compelling, but I can totally underatand why others would argue otherwise.

Like you I have my doubts about how strong support will be over the long run if this thing doesn't meet expectations. I still feel burnt by how quickly Sony stopped directly supporting the vita.

I should get mine tomorrow so at least I'll be able to sample the games I like and if worse comes to worse, they're selling for $1200 AUD on eBay and I only paid $550 for mine :D

#5 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:35 AM

Interested to know if anyone has picked this up yet. I heard from other forums that some games like drive club is causing players motion sickness due to tons of movements. Never a fan of games giving me motion sickness, so I am kind of waiting this out to see more reviews and opinions,

#6 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

I've picked it up, but am waiting on my new camera to arrive before setting it up. Motion sickness is not something that can neccesarily be attributed to a game as everyone responds differently to VR. It's best to ease your way in if you're new and start with something less intensive before moving to say driveclub or Rigs. Some people will get motion sickness while others can play hours on end with no trouble. Of course, some games will be more likely to trigger such responses from people.

A friend of mine had a headache for two days after using some mobile VR system for only 45 minutes, while another has been using PS VR for hours on end with no issues. I would exercise caution and try for yourself if you can.

I will be sure to post impressions when I get it set up. I am not even sure how I will respond as I can barely tolerate 10 minutes of active shutter 3d let alone a VR head set.

#7 SpaceInsomniac

SpaceInsomniac

• Members
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:45 AM

I was crazy enough to pick up a PSVR unit, and I've yet to experience any motion sickness.  I haven't tried the Driveclub VR demo yet, though.  Let me know if you have any questions.
Posted Image

#8 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,174 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

My only question, should I get one! haha. I've been so on the fence. I really want to get into VR, but I'm just not 100% convinced it's ready yet. I've held off on Vive because I am nervous there will be a higher resolution one not too long after I buy it and I'll be disappointed. With PSVR at least I expect it to stick around awhile. I'm also thinking the console might generate some better content, I expect a lot of the PC software will make its way to PSVR but not necessarily the other way around due to exclusives and whatnot. That and the price being so much lower has me considering PSVR as my "starter" VR setup. I have a headset that I put my phone into and have had some fun with that, but I don't do it too often because there isn't really all that much to do with it. The 360 degree Youtube videos are cool though.

#9 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:43 AM

So I finally hooked up my PSVR and dived into the deep end with Driveclub and Rigs. 1st thing I want go say is there were no performance issues and everything was silky smooth. Yes it is a tad on the blury side and there is some 'screen-dooring', but it delivers a level of immersion you just will never get on a flat screen no matter how detailed it is.

The quality of the in-game visuals was very high and exceeded my expectations. I really felt like I was in the cockpit of a giant mech and a racecar in both games. The 3D effect and sense of depth you get with the headset on also exceeded my expectations. It's like wearing a set of 3D glasses, but instead of watching a movie on a screen, you are in the middle of a 3D movie. Cinema mode is also very cool, it feels like being in a dark room with a 5m projection screen in front of you.

I had no problems with head tracking - the camera does a good enough job and overall I have to say I am really impressed. After playing Driveclub, I can't imagine playing a racer any other way. On the other hand it's not something I could do for extended periods.

My advice: Try before you buy, but definately try.

#10 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:29 PM

http://www.eurogamer...pecs-comparison

Looks like some of the VR games will get Pro enhancements at launch, though specifics have only been listed next to some titles.

I don't recall the source, but I read somewhere that Driveclub VR gets its resolution doubled on PS4 Pro. That's no small difference.

#11 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:06 PM

Well I broke down and decided to pick up a PSVR and PS4 Pro today. Color me impressed. The underwater demo was amazing and quite honestly those types of experiences are what I'm looking forward to most. It was relaxing yet incredibly immersive and it was fun to just look around and peer out of the cage.

I also tried the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare VR Demo which is basically a starfighter dogfight above the earth. Again, the sense of immersion was amazing and I quickly got wrapped up in the action in a way that a simple 2D experience could never replicate.

My brother (notoriously hard to please when it comes to electronics like this) was similarly blown away. Interestingly, wile the first person experiences worked fine for him, third person activities like the VR Gameroom quickly made him dizzy while I had no ill effects no matter what I tried.

I still have lots of stuff to sample and the resolution could be better. The lenses can also fog up until the headset acclimates to the room and the wearer. But overall my first impression is really positive. I can hardly wait to see the state of VR 5 or 10 years from now when the resolution of the headsets catches up to our flat panels. That will be quite an experience.
Posted Image

#12 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

Look forward to hearing more of your impressions Tony, I enjoy reading them :)

I haven't used my VR much, but I went in with low expectations and ended up being blown away by how immersive is and that was on the standard PS4 - I haven't tried it on the Pro yet.

It's not a perfect experience, but for the price point I am stunned at how well it works and at the visual quality. I really didn't expect it to be that good.

#13 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:06 PM

Like you say D2, it's not perfect but still incrediby immersive and really impressive for the pricepoint.

I tried a few more things today:

The Battlezone demo was visually impressive but the controls seemed a bit clunky to me. I like the Tron vibe but it would have worked better if you could just aim with your head movements rather than using the right stick to move the reticle up and down. Probably not worth $60 but I will definitely pick it up when the price drops a bit.

Thumper was interesting but even at $20 I don't know that it will be able to hold my interest for an extended period. The graphics and music do create a very creepy vibe.

Driveclub VR controlled well but the resolution was really low on this one. Don't know if the demo takes advantage of the PS4 Pro hardware or not.

I also tried a few things on the VR Worlds disk:

The ocean descent shark encounter was amazing and really the highlight of VR for me so far; it is a pretty passive experience as all you can do is look around but the slow pace and in your face visuals really draw you in. I was actually gripping the armrest of my couch when the shark attacked. The resolution on this was also pretty good and far less jaggy than the demos so I'm hopeful the PS4 Pro hardware can improve the experience.

VR Luge was fun to try once and it actually managed to make me a little queasy with all the twists turns and jumps.

Scavenger's Odyssey was another fun, visually immersive little adventure. The pace and difficulty were just right for what I'm looking for in a VR experience.

Thanks also to SpaceInsomniac for the tips and suggestions.
Posted Image

#14 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:28 PM

@Thanks for your impressions Tony. I am 99% certain the Driveclub demo doesn't support the Pro, I have the full game and it requires a patch. The resolution is supposed to be much improved from what I hear, but I am yet to try it. Am very happy with how it drives though.

#15 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:27 PM

View Postd2_s, on 13 November 2016 - 11:28 PM, said:

@Thanks for your impressions Tony. I am 99% certain the Driveclub demo doesn't support the Pro, I have the full game and it requires a patch. The resolution is supposed to be much improved from what I hear, but I am yet to try it. Am very happy with how it drives though.

Please post some impressions of Driveclub when you get a chance. I've read conflicting opinions on how much the patch improves the game and I'd love to get your take on it.

I tried the Rush of Blood demo today; really well done and it convincingly conveyed a sense of space and scale. Beware however that there is a lot of pretty scary imagery coming right at you. If you're not a fan of jump scares you may want to steer clear of this. My brother tried it and he loved it as well; definitely buying the full game next time I'm at Best Buy.
Posted Image

#16 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

I will be posting some impressions for sure just need to find a moment to reconnect the VR, it really sucks it only supports hdmi 1.4.

Hope they come up with a solution for Pro owners with SUHD displays - whether it be in the form of a firmware update or new breakout box - so we can enjoy 4K+HDR without needing to disconnect PSVR.

Thanks for the heads up on Rush of Blood. I need to go through the demo disk next time I hook up VR.

#17 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:34 AM

I finally got around to trying out Driveclub VR on the Pro. The image appeared cleaner under certain conditions and the lighting seems to be improved, but it is still more than a tad on the blurry side. I can't tell you how much better it is - my memory of it on the base PS4 is vague - but the difference didn't seem that dramatic .... take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Edit:
I did a quick google search to see other people's opinions and the general consensus is that the improvements are marginal to the point of being barely noticable, which basically agrees with my experience.

A real shame if you ask me.

#18 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:15 PM

I've been subsisting on a steady diet of VR content over the past couple of weeks. Some impressions:

Batman: Arkham VR
When I first read about and saw videos of this game I wasn't really sure what all the fuss was about as the level of interaction felt limited to me. Then I decided to get it as I had some gift certificates lying about and once I put the headset on I understood what everyone was raving about. The level of interaction is limited and it is more an experience than a game but the level of immersion is off the charts. Just suiting up or standing on the rooftop of GCPD is an amazing experience and the game does an amazing job of pulling you into its world. Definitely worth checking out.

The London Heist
This is one of the mini-games on the VR Worlds disk; it mixes PS Move based shooting with more passive levels where you're just sitting around, interacting with your virtual partners in crime. Like Arkham, the level of interaction in the non-action sections is pretty limited but it is a ton of fun to use the Moves as virtual hands. One level has you sitting behind a table in a pub and the game performs all kinds of tricks to pull you in like letting you pick up a cigar and "smoke" it by blowing into the PSVR's microphone - complete with smoke coming out of the cigar. The shooting levels are a lot of fun as well, the final one taking place on a highway as you take out cars and motorcycles while trying to escape from some bad guys. It's over pretty quickly but it is a really fun ride while it lasts.

Gunjack
Set in the Eve: Valkyrie universe, this is a relatively simple turret game with increasingly difficult waves of enemy spaceships and the occasional large capital ships that you must destroy. The controls are very simple and the action can get repetitive but its all visually quite impressive and for $10 it's a fun ride.

Hyper Void
Vintage trippy Dave Minter; you pilot a ship thru various space-based levels including asteroid fields and wormholes that are reminiscent of the Tempest webs. The sense of depth and flying into space is really nice in this one and for $10 its another good bargain.

Rush of Blood
I picked up the complete game and made it thru 4 levels so far. The game is an absolute blast - literally and figuratively - as you use the Move controllers as guns to kill all kinds of undead creepy monsters. It works with a Dualshock but the experience is so much better with the Moves. The game is full of jump scares and lots of stuff to shoot. An absolute steal at $20.

Resident Evil: The First Hour Demo
I've never been a fan of the Resident Evil games and while well made, this demo did nothing for me. I guess my problem is that I just didn't care for the environments in the game. PS VR has taken me to all sorts of interesting places so the delapadated farmhouse we get here, while well modeled for what it is, just isn't visually interesting to me. I've also never been particularly impressed with the stories these Resident Evil games tell and again this one did nothing for me. I know I'm in the minority, but I'll take flying thru asteroid fields, being lowered to the bottom of the ocean or hanging out on the rooftop of the Gotham City Police Department to this.

Star Wars: Battlefront: VR X-Wing Mission
Speaking of flying through asteroid fields, I also finally made time for the Star Wars Battlefront VR mission. The X-Wing controls could have been a little better (I had a hard time turning my ship around quickly during combat) but getting to engage in a Star Wars dogfight while making strafing runs on a Star Destroyer was the stuff of childhood wish fulfillment dreams. All the little easter eggs in the cockpit were neat (I loved finding the targeting computer) as was just looking at the massive AT-AT walker lumber over me during the title screen. Now THIS is what VR is all about for me: taking me to places and showing me things I could never possibly see in real life. DICE absolutely needs to turn the Death Star attack into a VR mission; I'm sure the PS4 and PSVR could handle it.

That's about it so far. I also picked up Eve Valkyrie today (a PS4 Pro patch was just released) and hope to take that for a spin in the next couple of days. I also have my eyes on Crystal Rift, a D&D style dungeon crawler.
Posted Image

#19 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,481 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for your impressions Tony, I enjoyed reading them. Look forward to your next batch of impressions :)

#20 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,174 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

A coworker lent me his PS4 VR headset so I have been testing out the demos a bit. I am super impressed with how it all works, even the gameplay for the most part, but am having a hard time getting used to how bad the games look overall. I'm pretty sure Driveclub looks worse than a PS3 game in VR. Overall I am completely sold on VR, but am leaning towards one of the PC versions currently.

Some videos of my first tests with the PS VR:

EVE: Valkyrie Demo - https://www.youtube....h?v=q9lQ8PjZpxk

Kitchen Demo - https://www.youtube....h?v=QuvX-ERirDE

Driveclub Demo - https://www.youtube....h?v=1HquKX5RF5I

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!