Toggle shoutbox HDTV Arcade Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  d2_s : (19 June 2017 - 10:16 PM) I'm in agreement with you Tony and I would hazzard a guess that Sony's own exclusives will be impressive enough that people wont be wishing they were on XB1X much like the X1's exclusives were technically as good as anything else.
@  ermac666 : (20 June 2017 - 06:37 AM) I am quite impressed with the ps4 exclusives like days gone where there are tons of zombies on screen, and the game still maintains the frame rate and graphical fidelity. It is also no typical shooter where you endlessly just shoot down zombies. You have to utilise the environments and stealth to play. Story looks to be good as well.
@  Brandino : (30 June 2017 - 01:36 AM) The SNES classic ....  only 20 somewhat games is a bit of a disappointment.   The urge to buy a raspberry pi with a snes case is much higher then dropping 100 on something with corded controllers and 20 games
@  SpaceInsomniac : (09 July 2017 - 04:44 AM) So Kyle / Direwolf: I just recently picked up Rocket League again after not playing since the first month or so.  Still great fun, but I was wondering if you could suggest any You Tube tutorials or anything for new-ish players.  Anything come to mind?
@  kyle_5_16 : (19 July 2017 - 10:56 AM) Honestly I don't really know of any tutorials online, I never really watched any, just played a LOT
@  kyle_5_16 : (19 July 2017 - 10:56 AM) The training in that game is great for building up your mechanics though
@  kyle_5_16 : (19 July 2017 - 10:57 AM) and people make and share all sorts of custom training scenarios too
@  kyle_5_16 : (19 July 2017 - 10:57 AM) after that it is learning the basics or teamplay (if you aren't doing solos) and overall team rotation, which I do know there are tutorials on, i'll see if I can find them
@  kyle_5_16 : (19 July 2017 - 11:09 AM) https://www.reddit.c...ositioning_and/
@  SpaceInsomniac : (20 July 2017 - 07:33 AM) Cool.  Thanks for the advice!
@  Brandino : (05 August 2017 - 02:26 AM) I've been playing the new Doom on PC..... that game is so bad ass and so much fun.  I wish more FPS would go back to the classic roots...
@  TonyDP : (05 August 2017 - 08:15 PM) I beat the new Doom on my PS4 a few weeks back; really fun game. Once you beat it, make sure to watch the credits - they're actually one of the best cinematics I've seen and really kick ass (you'll know what I mean when you check them out).
@  Brandino : (05 August 2017 - 10:33 PM) I've been taking my sweet time exploring each level for the secrets ,   it's a fun throw back which is nice for a change.
@  ermac666 : (08 August 2017 - 08:37 PM) Hellblade Sensua's Sacrifice on ps4 is an interesting game you guys should check out. I played for 2 hrs, and I am liking what I see!
@  ermac666 : (08 August 2017 - 08:39 PM) ps4 pro is 60 fps for hellblade, and ps4 frame rate is unlocked.
@  d2_s : (12 August 2017 - 04:09 AM) I completed my 1st playthrough of hellblade earlier today. PS4 pro suports both a 60hz mode and a high res 30fps mode. The game is a flawed masterpiece IMO. Gorgeous visuals and excellent overall story and presentation let down by a sometimes painful combat system. The combat itself is not bad, but the targeting system is complete rubbish and some of the combat scenarios plain stink - i wont spoil anything. I'd describe the combat as being like Ryse Son of Rome minus the button prompts and dismemberment. Definately worth a look for the price.
@  d2_s : (12 August 2017 - 04:10 AM) The game gets more visually stunning as one progresses and is up there with the prettier games this gen. Ninja Theory really outdid themselves.
@  Brandino : (17 August 2017 - 12:06 AM) Crackdown delayed yet again...
@  d2_s : (17 August 2017 - 08:15 AM) bummer
@  d2_s : (17 August 2017 - 09:46 AM) Ha I was going through my psn download list and noticed someone purchased 42 movies on my account last september.

- - - - -

Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

I checked out the preview trailer today and I'm surprised that I'm saying this....  I am actually excited and interested in purchasing a new Nintendo console!@?!?

I remember ripping the Wii and it's name back in the day on these boards and then completely ignoring the Wii-U.

I like the idea of being able to bring the console with me to work and playing with my co workers during lunch  and/or being able to play on the go when I'm stuck going to boring kids activities.  

I am very curious about the price,  the battery life and if this console will be super awesome and include a browser and other features...
Posted Image

#2 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, comics, movies, videogames, 3D

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:01 PM

I have zero interest in mobile games. I have even less interest in Nintendo's IPs. The video does not get into the power of the console but if the guts of it are in the tablet section that can be removed then I can't imagine it will be even as powerful as an Xbox One / PS4, to say nothing of the PS4 Pro or Scorpio (it will probably be more along the lines of a Nvidia Shield). Going back to cartridges for game storage and no mention of how much onboard storage it has suggests that games with massive add-ons like Destiny or the Call of Duty titles will be beyond the scope of the device. And of course the games look typically childish and kiddy. Kind of interesting that Nintendo has finally ditched all the gimmicky controllers and gone back to what is essentially a standard gamepad.

Bottom line: Interesting modular design but just not for me given how I play or the titles I have interest in.

#3 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:09 AM

My first thought was "Yeah, those slide-on controllers won't be breaking off anytime soon."

Either Nintendo will have a rule of no hard games, (to limit frustration,) or it's part of their grand scheme to help parents raise well behaved kids that don't rage. Cuz if they do rage, they punish themselves by taking their own controller away, in a manner of speaking, when they break them in two. :-P
Failure is not important. How you overcome it is.

"Any day you don't die is a good day."
Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

#4 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:30 AM

Interesting video and concept. At least they are marketing it right unlike what they did with the wii u that confused a lot of people who are casual. I can see it selling, but there are many things that are not very clear. Is it cartridge only (no online purchases of games) and how is the storage capacity? Any touch screen controls? Will it run current ports from ps4/X1? How will be the battery life be if you use it outside of your home? Pro switch controller included in the package?

#5 colonel_j2020

colonel_j2020

Taco Bell, why must you taste so delicious?

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

I am concerned they show nothing of the specs.  I'm also concerned that games will be gimped needing to be able to be played on the tablet and a TV.
Posted Image

#6 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,489 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:14 AM

I love Nintendo's IPs and really enjoyed the excellent exclusives on the Wii U. What I don't love is how unfriendly to 3rd parties Nintendo's platforms tend to be and as cool as this new contraption looks, I'm not sure I'm up for the extra clutter just for a slow trickle of Nintendo exclusives. I sold my Wii U to my brother-in-law and I've found PS4, PC and X1 more than meet my needs - despite occassionally missing Mario Kart and Splatoon. I'm even considering losing xbox in the long term seeing as I can play their games and use their controller on PC. Nintendo is going to have to blow my socks to get me back to buying their consoles again. Either that or it's going to have to be dirt cheap.

#7 kyle_5_16

kyle_5_16

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

• HDTV Arcade Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,176 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, movies, music, hunting, fishing, gaming

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:35 PM

View Postd2_s, on 22 October 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

I love Nintendo's IPs and really enjoyed the excellent exclusives on the Wii U. What I don't love is how unfriendly to 3rd parties Nintendo's platforms tend to be and as cool as this new contraption looks, I'm not sure I'm up for the extra clutter just for a slow trickle of Nintendo exclusives. I sold my Wii U to my brother-in-law and I've found PS4, PC and X1 more than meet my needs - despite occassionally missing Mario Kart and Splatoon. I'm even considering losing xbox in the long term seeing as I can play their games and use their controller on PC. Nintendo is going to have to blow my socks to get me back to buying their consoles again. Either that or it's going to have to be dirt cheap.

Pretty much exactly this. I could see this being really popular for families though if the battery life is good. I also like the idea of the cartridges (with a couple assumptions).
1. No moving parts, hopefully better battery life than a disk.
2. Hopefully it's just a fast SD card essentially. Then if the game doesn't have updates you wouldn't really need to install it like you do with XBONE or PS4 games.

I think this will be another generation of Nintendo trying to go it alone without decent 3rd party support. I don't think it is possible for this thing to have enough power to not make porting to it more work than is worth it. Perhaps mobile games will be easy enough to port, and there are a lot of people out there playing mobile games so who knows, but I'm not really in that market I guess.

#8 Goldenheart

Goldenheart

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:56 AM

Regarding price, it may technically (in a way,) provide more value than just a console, because it's both a console & a portable gaming system. However, Nintendo really needs to keep in mind that the customer base of people looking to buy BOTH SIMULTANEOUSLY is very small compared to the number of people who ONLY want a console or ONLY want a portable system. Especially since a lot of people will probably only see it as a portable game device that can also be seen on a TV, not as a mobile device and also a console.

If Nintendo prices it based on its full possible provided value, it's already lost.  There just aren't enough people in that demographic. I bet that's a really hard pill for them to swallow, especially since they traditionally don't sell consoles at a loss like the others do.

With that said, good luck Nintendo. The more, the merrier. Try to give MS & Sony a run for their money & show them how to sell games that don't need 1GB-day-1 patches to finish the game.
Failure is not important. How you overcome it is.

"Any day you don't die is a good day."
Quoted from a member of the bomb squad. I'm sure many soldiers feel that way too.

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot.

#9 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:35 AM

cracked had a good article about the future failure of the Switch....   http://www.cracked.c...erstand-humans/

I do agree that the commercial is funny in where people join around to play on a tiny screen.
Posted Image

#10 ErbilT

ErbilT

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

Oh look, another Nintendo launch!

At this point, I can say that I will likely be buying one. I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, so no shock there. I just wonder outside of other Nintendo fans like myself, who else is the target market?

I think it will do okay. Zelda as a launch title with all of the other Nintendo properties will easily ensure that the system sells 10+ million units over the first year... I just wonder what will happen if/when they make an exclusive Pokemon game for the system.
Playing: Rex Infinite (PS4) Superhot VR (Oculus Rift) Titanfall 2 (PS4)

#11 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostBrandino, on 29 October 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

cracked had a good article about the future failure of the Switch....   http://www.cracked.c...erstand-humans/

I do agree that the commercial is funny in where people join around to play on a tiny screen.

The article makes some interesting points. Personally I don't see the point of the system. If you want to game on the go, use a phone or dedicated portable gaming device. If you want to game at home, use a console. To me those two activities are very distinct, separate things that offer very different experiences. It's too overpowered for a portable and that small screen means any finer details in the visuals will be lost. It's not as powerful as a dedicated console so cross-platform games will look visibly worse with it. Like the article says, it's basically a tablet with some controllers slapped on it.

In the end, this will be like every other Nintendo console since the Gamecube: good sales out of the gate (but nowhere near as good as the Wii), quick drop-off in sales once the fanboys have gotten theirs; abandonment by the few worthwhile third party developers once sales tank; a trickle of first party titles to keep the diehards in the fold until the cycle starts all over again (or until Nintendo gets wise and decides to focus on software only). Also, exclusive IPs like Mario and Pokemon won't be as effective system sellers if those same IP's are available on phones.

#12 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

I read online that the system (GPU) runs 60% slower when it's off the dock in order to keep the system cool.   That scares me a lot!
Posted Image

#13 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

So the info is now out....  yikes those price points are to high for me.
Posted Image

#14 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

In my opinion, the presentation was was a abysmal failure. The console is pretty much a Nividia Shield level console (ie: less powerful than original PS4 or Xbox One) yet they're asking $300 for it and it doesn't appear to even come with a pack-in game. I thought they were finally getting away from the waggle gimmicks and what do they show but another title full of waggles.

It has only one (maybe two) worthwhile games at launch and that's only if you like Nintendo's IP's (there are a lot of us that don't).

The only third party titles announced were FIFA by EA and Skyrim. So we have a soccer game that will probably look and play better on every other platform and a 5 year old game that everyone has already played (the system isn't even powerful enough to run the new remastered version). And this time the number of games at launch is also dismally small.

The problem Nintendo has had for at least the last 10 years is that the only people interested in their consoles have been die-hard Nintendo fans. It's a given that they will buy the Switch when it is released no matter the price. But for the rest of us there is absolutely nothing here at all.

Nintendo has already failed in the home console market; something tells me they're well on the way to burying their portable market as well.

Easy pass for me.

#15 ermac666

ermac666

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

Initially when they first revealed it, I thought that the concept was cool, and that the casuals will catch on. After this presentation, I am not sure anymore. I don't think the 3rd party support will be strong outside of the initial 1 or 2 years. You can argue that the wii u actually had more 3rd party titles at launch! It only has 32 GB storage. The processor is weak even by mobile standards (ARM cortex A-57 cores when android phones out now have ARM cortex-A72 cores or equivalent), the pay-to-play online might hurt them as they are not in the same position as MS/Sony, and they should be doing the opposite and not following them to be different.

#16 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:14 AM

After letting the Switch news sit with me for a while and reading more info about it.   I do think it was a completely poor presentation and a terrible idea on how they are launching it.  

The complete lack of games is alarming,   they have Zelda,  a lot of ports and then Mario at X-mas.

The pay to play online where you only keep that SNES/NES game for that month sucks.   Apparently it's not clear but their is a chance that you would have to use your cell phone and an app for online voice chat?  If that's true then Nintendo needs to stop doing hardware ASAP.

I did like one article I read online where they said they should of just released the switch without the tv accessory and put the focus on a powerful portable gaming device.  Sell the TV hook up separately.

I have extreme doubts on this machine...  I have a feeling that it might be another Wii-U.
Posted Image

#17 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:11 PM

Don't forget the 32gb of onboard storage; this is a ridiculously small amount in this day and age. I've also read several articles about developers literally laughing when asked if their games would be ported to Switch, citing the lack of horsepower and storage as reasons very few modern-gen games could run on the system. Nintendo will be going it alone again and they clearly haven't learned from their past mistakes.

Between the base $300 asking price for a bare bones console with no pack in, another $50-60 for a game, probably $20 or more for additional storage, even more cash for the preferred controller for playing off the TV, the real price of entry is closer to $400 and that doesn't even include the cost of accessing their online services.

I've also read about that ridiculous decision to use a phone app for core online services like chat and matchmaking.

They really should quit the hardware game and focus on software.

#18 d2_s

d2_s

Thunder From Down Under

• 22,489 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

Agree with B and Tony. Looks like Wii U 2.0 to me.

The base system in Australia is priced at $470 AUD without a game. Switch games such as Zelda and Mario are being advertised in the vicinity of $90-$100. Wii U games topped at $90 and were typically $60-$80. 3DS games topped at $60 AUD. They're pricing themselves out of both the handheld and console markets IMO.

Most people have smart phones/tablets already and X1S and PS4 can be had from $350-$400 AUD with pack in games. Why would anyone other than a hardcore Nintendo fan bother with this thing?

That being said when the prices start coming down, it could do pretty well if it's seen as the successor to the DS.

Either way, 1st Ninty console I'll be passing on at launch me thinks.

#19 Brandino

Brandino

Go Jets Go!!!

• Members
  • 8,372 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:57 AM

http://ca.ign.com/ar...o-switch-review

This is not looking good at all for Nintendo...  

Controller issues,  bad graphics,  framerate issues on tv mode....  

Maybe next time around they will focus on making a quality home console and a quality portable rather then melting the two together..
Posted Image

#20 TonyDP

TonyDP

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

Everything I've read basically says that the system works best in handheld mode, even though it is way too bulky to be truly considered portable. When connected to a TV, the system's limitations quickly become obvious as even Legend of Zelda, their flagship title at launch, has severe framerate dips and the mediocre textures become quite obvious. So you have a portable that is really too big to be a practical portable and a console that is woefully underpowered so any ports are pretty much guaranteed to be inferior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!